Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,

After a lot of experimentation with my system and replacing wires and configurations I have finally realized that any cable going to my receiver (except the optical splitter) is sending noise or white lines back to my tv. Its a Philips mx-965 model. Was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent and fix that problem or am I just stuck with it?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Hold it!!!! Do you have cable tv connected? We need to know this before going further. And if you do, then disconnect the incoming cable feed and tell us if this helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good evening,

I now have Direct Tivo with two inputs from my multiswitch to the back of the tivo unit. I have removed everything that connects to the philips receiver and the picture looks great, but once I plug an rca cable or s-video to the reciever I get the white lines back..I have swapped out cables, replaced where I put them. When I first got the receiver and have a stand alone tivo and cable box I had white lines when I tried to run everything thru the receiver...not sure what is causing this or how to fix it. I have called Philips and their answer is..its not supposed to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

PS. I did unplug both satelite lines to the back of the direct tivo while i still had old setup..terk s-video switch and vcr audio through receiver..when I did unplug those lines the picture cleared right up. Now, without running anything..except for optical audio through receiver everything is clear...but not optimal since I still have to switch out s-video when I want to watch a dvd.

·
Registered
842 Posts
You definitely have a ground loop. Getting rid of it may not be so easy. First thing to do is make sure everything is powered from the same power strip. If you have cable you should get an rf isolator. Balanced or isolated power definitely helps.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
ANd if you want to have some fun and education, do a Search at this forum for "ground loop" and you'll find lotsa information. Certainly "sounds" like ground loop problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.