AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I shoot for, for a noise floor level in my new HT? I'm moving and will be forced to build another home theater. The last one I didn't soundproof at all (wasn't in the budget). However I'll be able to do a decent amount of it in this build. In the soundproofing thread I read that the average level is around 33-35. Obviously I'm going to want to shoot for as low as possible, but what's average after everythings done?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
NC-20! Not easy to accomplish.........................but certainly doable.

I went further than most regarding soundproofing and fell short by 5 db's.............NC-25. If I hadn't compromised on door due to aesthetic reasons, I could've hit mark. BTW, my room was tested by professionals with professional/capable equipment, not by me. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NC-20! Not easy to accomplish.........................but certainly doable.

I went further than most regarding soundproofing and fell short by 5 db's.............NC-25. If I hadn't compromised on door due to aesthetic reasons, I could've hit mark. BTW, my room was tested by professionals with professional/capable equipment, not by me. ;)
Thanks man. Was wondering about that.. Also I read that the door in soundproofing is the weakest link. I've seen the enhancements made to regular solid core doors to make them heavier and pretty dense. If I were to have my hands on a slab of say ....4 inch thick oak that I could carve a door out of. Would that alone be sufficient (with the sweeper underneath of course) or would it need a little something else?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,173 Posts
a solid piece of something is as a rule never as good as something made of multiple layers with a bit of dampening agent between layers. Two doors set up in an air lock like configuration will out perform a single door. Don't overlook the importance of how the door is installed and how any shimmed gaps between the door frame and the framing/drywall is addressed.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Dual doors in an airlock configuration seem to make the most sense to me. This way, you don't have to have a huge, thick, single door and can concentrate on good seals all around, with reasonably thick and solid doors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts