AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i received the last emperor and i checked some scenes.

i first checked a scene of on a sony LCD tv 1080p.

the empire is 3 years old and you can see noise in the head of the empire . i felt is was very distracting.

also when he runs outside in some shots the air is free of noise and grain.

however in others there is lot of grain and noise.

after watching it i was a little disappointed. however when i checked it on the projector later this evening the picture looked excellent and when i checked the same scenes there was still some noise. but much more warm if this is the right term. it was not so distracting. but felt more movie like. like i remembered it when i watched it in the cinema.

so my question is. how could i watch a movie in 1080p on a lcd tv were the noise is less distracting.

because the weird thing is when i watched casablanca a movie from 1942 . it was great on the LCD tv and on the projector.

but the last emperor i would never watch on a LCD tv that is for sure.

so how does this actually happen? is it the calibration? or does criterion use the remastering process specially for people who have a projector?

and if possible how could i calibrate a tv that the picture of grainy movies is more film like?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think that a projected picture over some distance must be slightly softened, and therefore the grain is less visible. It's a bit unfair on us people with a clean image, and not only that, but with perfect 20/20 vision. You could turn the sharpness down a bit, but I personally don't like a soft image. I still think that the only way to fix it is at the studio.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code /forum/post/15488757

like i remembered it when i watched it in the cinema.

Is this 'The Last Emperor' from 1987? You supposedly remember exactly how a movie looked in the theater in 1987?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tutelary. like any great movie fan. some movies that are really special for you, stay in your brain forever.

i am sure that some people who lived in the era when kubricks 2001 was released. they can recall how it looked like when they saw it.

i can recall how karate kid looked like for example because it made such an impression as a kid. with the last emperor i have that too. that movie made such a big impression on me. that i still to this day, recall were i sat in the cinema and how it looked like. i dont have that for every movie. only for a very few movies.

so yeah i know how the picture looked like in 1987 when i saw it in the cinema here in the netherlands. i remember the grain in it. it was there but less sharp, like the projector i checked it on today. that is why it struck me directly as odd when i saw it on the LCD tv. the grain was much to sharp.

but anyway guys thank for checking in. i am going to test it tommorow and will try to calibrate and see if i can make the grain less visible on the LCD.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
its kinda the same thing as the movie 300. In theaters, I recall there being grain, but when I watched it on blu ray, it looked like they added a lot more grain, but I think it just came down to the extra sharpness and resolution added on blu ray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts