AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have had my HT I have always had the gains on my EP4000's maxed and I control the level with the SW control when needed. I almost always watch live stream now so the SW level is always maxed at +12dB and the receiver is usually MV -20dB. Rarely a really quiet movie I will have to turn it up to -15dB but mostly I turn it down to -25dB. My mains usually seem pretty quiet unless I listen very closely I can maybe hear a slight faint hiss... nothing out of the ordinary. If I turn it up to -10dB or even 0dB MV then of course I get loud hiss. But the subs always seem to be making noise when I am at -20dB. I know if i turn the gains down it will go away but then I wont have enough. When I used the BFD for a while, it amplified this noise. When i was trying to do large boosts and cuts it amplified the noise so much there was visual cone movement as well as loud rumble at whatever frequency range I boosted heavily. I run all HDMI, I havn't used the Bluray player in months, just the PC. The more I turn the receiver volume down, the quieter the noise... if I turn it down to -60dB there is no noise... so it's not like it is induced in the line after the receiver or simply too much gain...its like it is the receiver or the signal going to the receiver has noise that it amps. When I shut my TV off, the receiver does its auto detect flash... there is a dull pop as it shuts off for a second, the noise is gone, then a dull pop as it comes back on and the noise is back. Same with the PC, when i mute the PC it goes completely silent for a second...the receiver detects the absence of input...then it clicks and their is noise again, while the PC is still muted. When i unmute, there is a click, complete silence, another detection click, then noise. Turning the SW level down does the same thing as MV.

So where does the noise come from? If I was using RCAs I could understand it...but this is digital?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Switched over to Bluray player, silent, turned player on, stayed silent until the Bluray started to play back... noise. The Bluray has it's own signature noise different than the PC, but either way i get noise...just different noise. Shut the player off, completely silent.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey man

Can add a wire on the outside cases of the receiver and player (even daisy chain works) to the case of the amps. The amps are three prong and have ground.

Main problems are equipment with 2 prong plugs relying on neutral. A three prong plug with the ground (third prong) to the chassis of the devices would virtually eliminate the ground hum noises. Has to be plugged into an outlet that also has viable ground in the house wiring.

You'll search ground loop hum on AVS and notice some just run a wire from device causing it (usually always 2 prong unit) to the center screw on the outlet (ground) as a "quick" fix.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
What kind of receiver? Mine will do some switching (PCM vs DD vs DTS vs THX) if set to auto detect, but I don't ever select that. I choose what I want the receiver to do and never worry about pops or hiss.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, This old house has terrible wiring, some of the outlets are 2 and some are 3 prong so I had to break the 3rd prong off the power strips... which sounds like this could be the issue. The noise isn't too much of a problem itself, I used to have both EPs un-fan-modded right below the TV and it used to be quite loud, now I faintly hear them through the port from the other room. I have been wondering about power consumption as the subs are constantly making noise.

I have a Denon AVR-2310CI. It's not an issue as it changes decoding since I don't use the Bluray anymore, the PC is always set to PLIIx Cinema so I can get 7 channels. It's the auto detect for sound that mutes for a second... so if I change sources it is silent until sound is detected due to muting. The detection and the muting isnt an issue, it just lets me know its the receiver or behind it... if it were after the receiver I would still get the noise even with the receiver off, MV down, or muted... example the amps...if the amps or the RCA's from the receiver to the XLRs or the XLRs were the issue I should be able to take the reciever out and still have the noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.