AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently returned my RTV5160 to the ReplayTV service center for a warranty repair. I shipped the unit to the service center on Friday September 19 and received a replacement unit on Thursday September 25. Great service!

However... the hard drive on the replacement unit is very noisy. I can hear it chattering with any type of read/write disk activity. The hard drive on my original unit was very quiet. I couldn't hear it at all. Has anyone else experienced a noisy hard drive? I'm ready to send it back and request a unit with quiet hard drive.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Is it louder than the fan? If so and you have it out in the open I'd return it unless you are planning on swapping drives at some point. If the rest of the pieces and parts work well, I'd stick with a "mostly working" replay, and just do the drive thing yourself.

With the refurb that will be sent you can't be too sure what problems it will have. But, I guess you already discovered that the hardway.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Maxtor drives will click unless the acoustic management setting is set to AMSET /QUIET. Maxtor ships its drives with AMSET set to performance. Might simply be replay didn't change the setting before installing the new drive. You can change the setting using Maxtors AMSET utility but it involves connecting the replay drive to your PC.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbowling
I recently returned my RTV5160 to the ReplayTV service center for a warranty repair. I shipped the unit to the service center on Friday September 19 and received a replacement unit on Thursday September 25. Great service!

However... the hard drive on the replacement unit is very noisy. I can hear it chattering with any type of read/write disk activity. The hard drive on my original unit was very quiet. I couldn't hear it at all. Has anyone else experienced a noisy hard drive? I'm ready to send it back and request a unit with quiet hard drive.
Hey, a fellow Alabamian! I have two 5000 units (having recently sold my "Rock" which was a 3030) and they have differing degrees of quietness. My first 5080 is whisper quiet. I have no problems with it, however, my second unit which is brand new and just received like three weeks ago is a little noisier. Its the fan, not the HD and as luck would have it THIS is the one in my bedroom :( . Its not so loud as to disturb me, because I can not hear it over the constant little hum of the ceiling fan that I have 20 years of familiarity with!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called ReplayTV about the noisy hard drive. They are sending an advance replacement. I don't have to send the noisy unit back until I receive the replacement. I'll post the status of the replacement unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.