AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery Sat. on a Mits 65815. I'm very disappointed in the picture quality. The picture is so noisy that it looks almost like a plasma screen. I've owned plenty of crt's in my life so I know about having to have it ISF'ed. That being said, is there any way to improve the picture quality because I don't want to get it calibrated til it breaks in.

I've turned sharpness off and turned off DefinEdge. There is a setting in the video menu called noise reduction, but the only choices are standard and reduction, I would like to be able to disable it. The picture is noisy no matter what signal I send it so it is definitely the Mits. My old TV was a Sony XBR300 and did not exhibit this behavior with the same sources.

Norm

BTW Gannon practice up on your Mitsubishi's

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dvd player is a Sony 725P that I've tried in both interlaced and progressive mode. My satellite is a HD-Tivo that I've tried in 480i, 480P, and 1080i mode. I've done the 64 point convergence and the picture is still grainy looking.

Norm

· Registered
502 Posts
My 65813 (2004 model) is "three weeks old" and it is razor sharp on most HD (via Comcast) and DVDs (480p via a Denon 2900). The only adjustments so far have been to reduce contrast, brightness, and red (via PerfectColor) as well as the 64-point convergence adjustment. I am planning to experiment with the Avia disk this weekend. After the "break in" period, I will have an ISF calibration done. But, at this point some of the HD broadcasts have been stunning.

During my "evaluation period", I viewed 65815s at three different dealers and would expect its PQ to match the 65813. I would suspect something problematic in the specific unit you have, so a service call and/or replacement will probably be in order.

web

· Registered
49 Posts
I don't know if this applies to the 813 or 815 models but I found that for SD content on my Mits 65711 there was a ton of noise when I turned the sharpness up too high. I turned the sharpness down to about 30-40% and that helped a lot with the noise.

There is also a service menu tweak that will allow you to adjust the VSM (which is another built-in sharpness function).

Hope this helps.

· Registered
984 Posts
I have the 65813 and I feel the same way. The picture does appear grainy. I see this the most on HD content. I have my 6200 connected via dvi, and my samsung 360 via component. I have turned the sharpness down to about 33. I also notice this with ota hd.

Years ago I had a Toshiba 57HX82 and I swapped that out for a comparable Sony. The Sony was much grainer, but not as sharp as the Toshiba. So I returned that set and just got a direct view. So I know that some sets are just grainer, but I have never really heard anyone complain about this except for me and you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.