AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Panasonic FV-30NLF1 WhisperLine fan pushing air into the room trough a 6 inch duct, DIY silencer, 6" flex duct to a 14*6 vent opening. The unfortunate part is that the vent/duct before the vent is undersized and I can't really change it. So now I hear air rushing into the room when the fan is on. The sound is better without the vent cover, but still very audible.

Other than pulling apart the wall and changing the duct/vent, has anyone had any luck modifying or dampening the vent opening?

Otherwise, I'll need to slow down the airflow. This is fine as well (it's putting out _a lot_ of air). The manual for the fan says not to use it on a dimmer. Has anyone safely ignored this advice?

The only other solution i can think of is to put a damper just before or after the fan (which is easy since i full access).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vent is in the soffit which is drywall/GG/OSB over 2x2 framing. It's obviously possible to pull it apart, but opening a hole big enough to add another vent to the ductwork would be a very large task. Not what I want to do now that everything is painted and lighttrays have been attached. I'd rather put a dimmer on the fan and hope for the best in that case

The theater only has 4 seats, so i'm hoping that putting the maximum inaudible amount of air through the vent will be enough to prevent stuffiness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.