AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed alot of home theaters made in basements over the searches I have done on the forum. I'm just curious especially with those of us in the south that do not have basements, how many of you have your home theaters on the second floor.

I ask this because I see a lot of home theater construction with a stage, which I love the design, but with 1000-1500 lbs. of sand, not adding the wood. How did you get passed this or you just built anyway with braces.

Could you who have second floor theaters share some ideas on how you sound damped the floor and/or ceiling.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Theatro,

I'm facing some of the same problems. This Thread has some ideas for treating the floor.

I'm in Tennessee and currently building my theater on the second floor. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to stuff my stage with yet...but it will prob. not be tons of sand.

Check out my construction thread... its in my signature below :)

Hope your construction goes well.

-Cam

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,138 Posts
BlackCatt and myself are both building second floor theaters. Here's BlackCatt's build thread. Mine is in my signature down below.

We've ripped up our respective floors and dumped in cellulose insulation, as well as dropped some Green Glue and an additional layer of OSB. Actually, I've got two layers, but I'm generally regarded as being the insane one. I believe BlackCatt to be simply bonkers enough to take the advice of the truly mad.

Anyway, as far as the sand. I have no intention of putting a ton (literally) of sand up there. The stage will be full of fiberglass with just a little pocket of sand directly under the sub and the main speakers.

The sand isn't a complete necessity, it's just very cost effective if you don't mind the weight.

·
Registered
970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatro /forum/post/0

I have noticed alot of home theaters made in basements over the searches I have done on the forum. I'm just curious especially with those of us in the south that do not have basements, how many of you have your home theaters on the second floor.

I ask this because I see a lot of home theater construction with a stage, which I love the design, but with 1000-1500 lbs. of sand, not adding the wood. How did you get passed this or you just built anyway with braces.

Could you who have second floor theaters share some ideas on how you sound damped the floor and/or ceiling.

Check out Swithey Ht here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=620108 .A lot of second floor diy'rs stuffed their stages with insulation and used sand only in spots where speakers would be placed on.

Others consult a structural engineer that can say go or possibly no go.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek /forum/post/0

I believe BlackCatt to be simply bonkers enough to take the advice of the truly mad.

I can neither confirm nor deny that remark...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.