AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As megaphones acousticly amplify volume, is there anything I can use to non-electronicly amplify the luminance of a flat panel display without altering the color or picture size? Is there some adjustable frame with such a type of glass I could put over my flat panel display?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,538 Posts
A megaphone 'amplifies' by making the sound more directional and concentrated. This means it actually covers a smaller area. I suppose you could use a lens and concentrate the brightness to a smaller area. In fact that's exactly what you're doing if you use a magnifying glass to light a fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C  /t/1526384/non-electronic-luminance-amplification/0_50#post_24582306


As megaphones acousticly amplify volume, is there anything I can use to non-electronicly amplify the luminance of a flat panel display without altering the color or picture size? Is there some adjustable frame with such a type of glass I could put over my flat panel display?
Those sorts of products go in the backlight. 3M has a variety of Brightness Enhancing Films that use prismatic structures to control the exit angle of the light. The most aggressive films can make most the light come out perpendicular which makes the display considerably brighter head on at the expense of off axis luminance.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
385 Posts
So if I apply this 3M film to my plasma I can claim greater efficiency per the standard measurement formulas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder  /t/1526384/non-electronic-luminance-amplification/0_50#post_24588329


So if I apply this 3M film to my plasma I can claim greater efficiency per the standard measurement formulas?
I guess, but you wouldn't like the effect. The films are translucent, and you wouldn't put them in front of something you wanted to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder  /t/1526384/non-electronic-luminance-amplification/0_100#post_24588329


So if I apply this 3M film to my plasma I can claim greater efficiency per the standard measurement formulas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude  /t/1526384/non-electronic-luminance-amplification/0_100#post_24588713

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder  /t/1526384/non-electronic-luminance-amplification/0_50#post_24588329


So if I apply this 3M film to my plasma I can claim greater efficiency per the standard measurement formulas?
I guess, but you wouldn't like the effect. The films are translucent, and you wouldn't put them in front of something you wanted to see.
This is exactly why I created this thread, so I could brighten my plasma during the day. It looks like I'd be better off with dark drapes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Sorry Big C it would have to be applied at factory directly on top of the substrate, placing the film on top of the protective glass won't work so well
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top