AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just read one more comparison where the buyer of a new sub was proclaiming that their new sub is so much better than the one it replaced which by most people's opinions is a top performer, yet they say that they're not running a sub equalizer.

I have a hard time believing his comparison because my experience is that there is such a large improvement that any comparison without an equalizer is worthless. I would also believe that someone not using an equalizer probably doesn't have other things right such as the sub/speaker intergration.

My basic question is how likely is it that someone's room would yield a flat enough response that a meaningful comparison can be made without either an equalizer or some major room treatments which he didn't have?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/17018343

I've just read one more comparison where the buyer of a new sub was proclaiming that their new sub is so much better than the one it replaced which by most people's opinions is a top performer, yet they say that they're not running a sub equalizer.

I have a hard time believing his comparison because my experience is that there is such a large improvement that any comparison without an equalizer is worthless. I would also believe that someone not using an equalizer probably doesn't have other things right such as the sub/speaker intergration.

My basic question is how likely is it that someone's room would yield a flat enough response that a meaningful comparison can be made without either an equalizer or some major room treatments which he didn't have?

meaningful is all in the eye of the beholder.

If the room is not EQ'd and the resposne is skewed (which it is) and the new sub sounds better than the old sub to the purchaser then how can the comparison be invalid. It can't....

what you are really saying is how much real info can be gleamed from this? probably not much... But that's up to the reader to decide....

Clearly you can't ask people to try and optimize placement, optimize integration and EQ and treat a room just to post their opinions. I certainly find those opinions more worthwhile to read and have faith in but its never gonna happen....

I have a far bigger problem personally of peoples speaker reviews and then you see pictures of their setup and know that its got to sound bad because many reasons like asymetrical setup, and most often proximity to room boundaries....

So I know what you mean. Reader beware....

Sean

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/17019182

Clearly you can't ask people to try and optimize placement, optimize integration and EQ and treat a room just to post their opinions. I certainly find those opinions more worthwhile to read and have faith in but its never gonna happen....

Yup but, OTOH, ignoring the issue reduces, even more, what one can deduce from the opinions.

Quote:
I have a far bigger problem personally of peoples speaker reviews and then you see pictures of their setup and know that its got to sound bad because many reasons like asymetrical setup, and most often proximity to room boundaries....

So I know what you mean. Reader beware....

Hehe. This, all too often, includes those who are really proud to show off their system in pix, as opposed to those who are seeking assistance.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/17025453

Don't forget placebo effect.

Bingo. And don't forget it's been proven that a more expensive placebo works even better than a cheap placebo. That's why I don't think you can ever truly trust subjective reviews from someone that's purchased a product. That doesn't mean it's not fun to read them and get excited about a product though

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/17025649

it's been proven that a more expensive placebo works even better than a cheap placebo.

And THAT'S a scientific FACT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts