1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some might find this interesting:

This will only work on DLPs and Samsung 3DTV's

Multiple 3D windows on Windows Desktop

The previous image has been replaced with one of my Samsung UN40C7000.

The lower right image is YouTube playing one of my 3D videos in 3D and the upper left is the source video playing in 3D. The upper right is live video in 3D from my wildlife camera.

The image is of my 82 inch Mitsubishi 82738 3DTV when displaying my computer desktop in checkerboard mode.

There are three windows open that are three dimensional when wearing my 3D glasses.

The top left is StereoPhoto Maker displaying a slide show of 3D pictures taken with my Fuji W3 3D camera.

The bottom left window is a live 3D view from my wildlife camera with camera controls.

The bottom right window is playing 3D video shot earlier from the same camera.

The upper right window is DirecTV playing Monday night football from last night.

This is the way 3D should work in my opinion.

Too bad that most of the 3D television manufacturers do not support this.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that this also works on my Samsung 3DTVs.

As far as I know Mitsubishi and Samsung are the only manufacturers that support this capability.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
And it's particularly ironic for Panasonic not to support it in their TVs, since they are the only company I'm aware of that has a 3D Blu-ray player that outputs checkerboard. Not that most people would want to use it that way - except for boundary pushers like you, Frank.

Your 3D capabilities just grow and grow. You're the Davey Crockett of 3D, Frank.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Hey Frank, I'm surprised you were the first to mention this. I've been noticing this for a while, it's a pretty cool effect. I'm hoping MS incorporates this into the next version of Windows.

For the time being, once again, checkerboard and DLPs for the win.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark
And it's particularly ironic for Panasonic not to support it in their TVs, since they are the only company I'm aware of that has a 3D Blu-ray player that outputs checkerboard. Not that most people would want to use it that way - except for boundary pushers like you, Frank.

Your 3D capabilities just grow and grow. You're the Davey Crockett of 3D, Frank.
Ironic indeed about Panasonic.

My first 3DTV was a Panasonic VT-20 and if I had known about this I never would have bought it, that's for sure.

At least it will make a good Christmas gift for my grandson and his family.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819
Hey Frank, I'm surprised you were the first to mention this. I've been noticing this for a while, it's a pretty cool effect. I'm hoping MS incorporates this into the next version of Windows.

For the time being, once again, checkerboard and DLPs for the win.
Actually, I mentioned it several times in the past and nobody commented. Since then, this feature has become essential for me at least.

If someone had written about it before it could have saved me from spending all that money on the Panasonic Vt-20.

P.S. Samsung had the foresight to support all of the "legacy" 3D modes.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I accidentally overwrote the original image in the first post with a new one from my Samsung UN40C7000.

I updated the first post to reflect the change.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19580353

Ironic indeed about Panasonic.

My first 3DTV was a Panasonic VT-20 and if I had known about this I never would have bought it, that's for sure.

At least it will make a good Christmas gift for my grandson and his family.

People in my family are very happy that I'm an early adopter. They often end up getting my "old" technology.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/19581155

People in my family are very happy that I'm an early adopter. They often end up getting my "old" technology.

Is your "old" technology like mine and often only weeks old?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing I thought might be relevant is watching youtube videos in 3D using this method.

Here is a screen shot of my Windows desktop with Firefox browser showing one of my 3D Youtube videos in checkerboard format. It can be scaled virtually any size or shown fullscreen.

There are quite a few 3D youtube videos already and the number seems to be increasing rapidly.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19581256

Is your "old" technology like mine and often only weeks old?

Well, even though computers are "old tech" almost as soon as you walk out of the store with them (or finish assembly), my old tech is usually anywhere from a few months to a couple of years old. But, I have supplied many friends and family with computers, TVs and smart phones, and the occasional projector.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I'm just imagining if Microsoft built 3D formats (all of them) into their OS. Not just multiple windows on a screen, but think about the key combo of "Win-Tab", that effect would be very much like "Minority Report".

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/19585693

I'm just imagining if Microsoft built 3D formats (all of them) into their OS. Not just multiple windows on a screen, but think about the key combo of "Win-Tab", that effect would be very much like "Minority Report".

Implementing support for "all of them" might be tough but just checkerboard would be fine with me (and of course, Mitsubishi and Samsung)

One thing I can't understand is why my live 3d video from my camera server displays in 3d even though it is via UltraVNC viewer. I was actually shocked when it worked. (pleasantly)

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
Implementing support for "all of them" might be tough but just checkerboard would be fine with me (and of course, Mitsubishi and Samsung)

One thing I can't understand is why my live 3d video from my camera server displays in 3d even though it is via UltraVNC viewer. I was actually shocked when it worked. (pleasantly)
Probably because UltraVNC is simply outputting what Stereoscopic player is outputting, which is checkerboard. Heck, I don't know, just a guess.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/19605043

Probably because UltraVNC is simply outputting what Stereoscopic player is outputting, which is checkerboard. Heck, I don't know, just a guess.

The remote computer is running Stereoscopic player and outputting the live 3D video in checkerboard format.

It shouldn't work because that's a function of the remote video card and shouldn't be passed over WIFI.

IT's IMPOSSIBLE!

So why does it work?

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19607991

The remote computer is running Stereoscopic player and outputting the live 3D video in checkerboard format.

It shouldn't work because that's a function of the remote video card and shouldn't be passed over WIFI.

IT's IMPOSSIBLE!

So why does it work?

LOL, your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea how it's working.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am beginning to think that I may be the only one doing this.

I've tried to explain it to a few people and all I get is a blank stare.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19617240

I am beginning to think that I may be the only one doing this.

I've tried to explain it to a few people and all I get is a blank stare.

It's because you're the 3D Puppet Master, Frank - bending the technology to your will and desire. The rest of us are merely 3D pretenders in comparison.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark /forum/post/19617300

It's because you're the 3D Puppet Master, Frank - bending the technology to your will and desire. The rest of us are merely 3D pretenders in comparison.

LOL

It is a little disappointing to me that this thread has generated so little interest.

·
Registered
669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19624966

LOL

It is a little disappointing to me that this thread has generated so little interest.

It's probably because not too many people are encoding or are running 3D in a windowed mode. I noticed this as well on my Mits since I was tinkering with some setting while TMT was converting a DVD to 3D. I thought it was kinda cool that it could do that but for actually watching it in 3D I prefer the Full Screen effect.
I do see where this could be useful in new versions of Windows though. Too bad for other people it only works in Checkerboard format. Maybe I should develop a Sequential to Checkerboard convertor box.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts