AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I set up 2 shows as guaranteed recordings on 2 different channels at the same time, my 5040 pops up a message stating that there is a conflict and asks which show I would like to record.

If I do the same thing with non-guaranteed recordings, no such message is displayed, both are scheduled to record but (obviously) only one show is actually recorded?

Is this a bug? It seems to me that it should prompt you regardless of whether or not the show is guaranteed. The section of the manual which discusses conflict resolution does not specify that it only applies to guaranteed shows.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Well, this is awesome... You read the manual!!!!!

Wow!

I'm not even being sarcastic here, you are like the first person in months to have asked a question after reading the manual! And a good one, too!

Ok, this has been a topic of much debate on here: namely, why does the conflict resolver only care if its a guaranteed recording. The quick answer is: if the recording isn't guaranteed, conflict resolving is a moot point, as its extremely likely that NEITHER show will record.

In practice, if it comes down to two non-guaranteed shows, the one on the lowest channel in the guide is the one that gets recorded. However, on many an occasion, the non-guaranteed shows are bumped for other non-guaranteed recordings that started earlier and ran over.

So, if you want to make two non-guaranteed channels for shows that are always against each other in the same time slot, you'll always get the one on the lower channel (when either of them would possibly record).

If you are going for themes, you're even more out of luck. Non-guaranteed themes are last on the totem pole. Pretty much anything else will record before them, BUT if nothing else is recording at the time the themes kick in with a vengeance. So, you like "Are You Being Served?" do you? Have it set to keep one episode? Well, that half hour show was on for 2 hours the other night, starting at its normal 7:30 timeslot, running until 9:30. It would bump every non-guaranteed theme after it because it started earlier, regardless of the channel.

So, your simple sounding question is really quite complicated. But basically, there's no conflict resolver there because the replay thinks you don't care enough about the show to guarantee its recording.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with that decision. I must agree with zabolots. I'll try to make a case but I think the value of resolving all conflicts and knowing what will actually get recorded speaks for itself.

When I add a new show I want to know whether or not it has a conflict with anything else regardless of it being G or not.

With the 5040 using medium quality I can only record a limited number of G shows. If I set up prime time shows that only come on once a week they will still take up a guaranteed amount of time all week. If I record 2 hours of shows every night each of which only come on once a week and make them G that would be 14 hours of G shows even though I may watch and delete them the same night. (let's say no more than say 4 hours might be stored up out of that 14) Now I also have about 5-7 hours of shows that come on during the day which I'd like to keep 2-3 episodes of in case my spouse or I can't watch them all right away. In short I and probably most people who still have a 40GB drive have more shows than they can make G and still have room to squeeze in new shows when they want even though their drive may be no more than 50% full of actual recorded shows.

When I make most of them non-G, my space problems go away and they almost all get recorded every day just like I would hope. almost. One problem occurs when I add a new show or my spouse adds one and we wonder are there any shows that are on at the same time as this one is? Well the confilct resolver could tell use but not if one of them is non-G. Some of these shows seem to be on at a different time every day. Some of them come on twice a week at the same time as another show that comes on everyday. If one is non-G I might never even know there was a problem until the show I really wanted to see didn't get recorded because it was a theme channel. Anyways I'm rambling here and I almost forget what my point was.

Basically my point is if you don't make everything G you won't know what might be conflicting and you won't know what you'll actually end up with at the end of the day. And if you add something new you don't know what you will lose. The only way around this would be do chart it all on paper or use a hack which is more than you should need to do for something that is supposed to make your life EASIER! :p

If you do make everything G you won't have enough room to schedule everything you want to see and do things like having the option to keep 2-3 episodes of many shows (within space limits) like you could if it was all non-G.

Also I might add that on the web site it states:

Quote:
Conflict Resolver

If you have two conflicting shows set to record, a message will appear on the screen and ask you which show you want to record. Simply select the show you want to record and you are done. The other show will get postponed. It's that easy!
It doesn't say Guaranteed shows, just conflicting shows. :p

Also I too have looked in the manual and saw where it says "the show airing on the lowest-numbered Channel Guide channel will be recorded."

But that is only for priorities 2 and 5. For 1 and 4, it's the "show airing on the Replay channel created first" that "will be recorded." I'm sure it is fantastically simple once you get the hang of it but for me, I'd rather have a window pop up and say "These two shows are conflicting at this time, what shall you have me do my master?" Rather than no window pop up and have the replay guess at which show based on which one I punched in first or which one some nameless one at the cable company decided should come first in the lineup.

My preferred method would be to have a conflict resolver flag we can set (and can default it on or off) that will let the replay know that "we like this show regardless of whether it is G or non-G and we'd like know if you are thinking about not recording it by golly." That would be :cool:

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
My solution for non-g shows which I would still like to record even when in conflict is to set them up on more than one Replay. Chances are that there will not be a conflict on both machines at the same time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I dont think something qualifies as a bug if it is the expected behavior of the application.

Rather, it can be called a poorly designed feature or an annoyance.

-graeber

Edit: "expected" means "expected behavior of the programmer or designer of the feature." Not the expected behavior of the user.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I guess my biggest gripe about this is that is doesn't seem all that hard to do. If conflict resolution can work with G it should be relatively simple to carry it over to non-G. Right now I supppose I could change all my shows to Guaranteed one episode standard quality and then see if any conlicts appear but seems like an excessive workaround. Although I guess it wouldn't take much longer than it does to post all these messages on the subject.

BaysideBas: I'm not sure buying an extra replay is really the best answer. However if we are going for the throw money at it solution, I'd go for upgrading my HD first.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I own 4 unaltered lifetime activated 40 hour replays and an updrived showstopper. The 40 hour ones are all networked together and I never have any scheduling conflicts.

Clearly, having the ability to record multiple shows on at the same time on different channels is the most important thing to me. It seems that it is also quite important to you as well, as you want to know about the conflicts.

However, the people who really worried about this problem have already created a solution. There is something called "TV-Check" in the xmltv package ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmltv/ ). It connects to My.Replaytv.Com and grabs the listings from your account, then checks it against the schedule it grabbed from Zap2It to see what conflicts you might run into.

It doesn't take much to run it, and its already been programmed, so there's your solution ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
However, the people who really worried about this problem have already created a solution. There is something called "TV-Check" in the xmltv package ( http://xmltv.sourceforge.com ). It connects to My.Replaytv.Com and grabs the listings from your account, then checks it against the schedule it grabbed from Zap2It to see what conflicts you might run into.
I propose Replay should just charge us an extra $10 on the lifetime or

$1/month extra to have one of their servers run TV-Check on our

accounts every night and email any conflicts to us.

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Graeber
... it can be called a poorly designed feature or an annoyance.
While I am in complete agreement about wishing the conflict resolver would work for all shows (G or non-G), I don't think the current feature is poorly designed.

Think of non-guaranteed as the equivalent to Tivo's thumbs up. Tivo records things you might like when nothing else is recording anyway. It's Tivo's way of putting stuff on the disk just in case you run out of programmed (guaranteed) stuff to watch.

ReplayTV lets YOU decide what kind of stuff fits in that category (anything that is not guaranteed). When you press Thumbs Up on a Clint Eastwood movie, it is like creating a non-guaranteed Theme. If I actually want to be sure I get to watch something, I guarantee it. If I wouldn't mind having some episodes of the xyz show around, but I'm not a fanatic about xyz, I set it up non-guaranteed.

I think that was ReplayTV's original idea. The question is whether the average customer agrees - it doesn't look like we do -- but we are not average users (for the most part :).)

That being said, I repeat that I am in complete agreement about wishing the conflict resolver would work for all shows. :)

-steve-

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I didn't mention tv_check initially because I didn't think it was relevant to the discussion.

Now that it was brought up I remembered, there is a parameter on the tv_check's /myreplay option that will include non-guraranteed shows in the conflict check.

You can also do a search here on AVS for hints when other folk have had trouble getting it to work. ("official support" is through the xmltv-users list).

Lastly, if you're running windows, the Windows-EXE distribution makes setting it up easy.

Robert

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not to sound naive but what is tv_check?

I'll do a search on it in a second but since you're the 'tv_check guy' mayhaps you could keep a link to it in your sig for future newbies?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ahh I found a post about how to run it. for winblows it's a parameter for xmltv.exe. Sneaky. It's been downloading schedules for the past 10 minutes so I think I got it working.

Quote:
Originally posted by Reden
Why not use TV_CHECK and stop worrying about it?

tv_grab_na --listings=guide.xml

tv_check --myreplay=xxxxx --out=rep.html --html

The first one grabs listings from zap2it (after a --configure sets things up)/

The second gets a listing of shows from myreplaytv.com, checks it against the schedule and generates a color-coded html report you can view with a web browser.

Granted it's not as nice or easy to use as something Replay would integrate, but we've been asking for that for 3 years. TV_CHECK is here now.

I've been running it weekly for 2 seasons now. Works great.

It's written in Perl for those who want to use it under their favorite version of Unix ( although loading all the modules can be a pain. )

A single EXE file is now available that spares windows users setting up Perl.

Robert

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wish Replay would take a look guidance from TIVO in this respect by allowing certain designated recordings to be automatically deleted if space it needed to record a new show. There are certain shows I don't want deleted until I say so. For example, I want every Simpsons episode recorded, but to guarantee that would take 12 hours of space and mark it off limits for months. There should be a way to "guarantee" a show will be recorded without reserving space in advance.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
scott:

Did tv_check do what you wanted? The quote you posted is pre-myreplaytv integration, but I believe the README file has everything needed.

acs235:

I think what you're really asking for is separate settings for space and conflict management .

IIRC, I made that request at version 1.2. With the smaller non-upgradable units s at the time, it was a much more important issue.

There are rumors that an upcoming 4k+ release will have a better conflict management.

I doubt it will effect me (3030), but I've learned to live with it (tv_check helps a lot!).

Robert

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Understanding the priority order that the Replays use to record is all you need to know. If two shows are on at the same time and you have the means to only record one then you must decide which one you want and give it an appropriate priority.

The real advancement that could help sales, IMHO, is a conflict resolver that that can be set up to work with multiple Replays attached on the same network.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Umm, I got it to do something:

I got a rep.html file that looks like lots of these:

Star Trek: Voyager (title-scan) 0200/60 Channel 4 KTXH [MyReplayTV1] {chanonly}

/ Channel 4 KTXH "The Gift"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Day of Honor"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Nemesis"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Revulsion"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "The Raven"

That '70s Show (title-scan) 1800/30 Channel 4 KTXH [MyReplayTV1] {chanonly}

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Pinciotti vs. Forman"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Red's Last Day"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "The Relapse" 1/2

/ Channel 4 KTXH "The Velvet Rope"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Uncomfortable Ball Stuff" 2/2

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Laurie and the Professor"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Donna's Story"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Van Stock"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "The Forgotten Son"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "I Love Cake"

/ Channel 4 KTXH "Red and Stacey"

I assume each is all the shows that a certain replay channel will record based on the data in guide.xml

I didn't see any conflicts anywhere.

I did get a bunch of errors like these:

Argument "%mh" isn't numeric in numeric gt (>) at /PerlApp/Date/Manip.pm line 18

Argument "%mh" isn't numeric in numeric gt (>) at /PerlApp/Date/Manip.pm line 18

Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /PerlApp/choose/tv_check/tv_chec

k line 963.

Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /PerlApp/choose/tv_check/tv_chec

k line 963.

k line 963.

k line 963.

k line 963.

k line 963.

saving shows to shows.xml

Exiting

I ran this to get it all:

>xmltv.exe tv_grab_na --configure

>xmltv.exe tv_grab_na --listings=guide.xml

>xmltv.exe tv_check --scan --myreplay=1,name,pword,1 --listings=guide.xml --out=rep.html --html

I'm still poking around though. Im not used to doing command line stuff on my windows crate. Once you go linux it's hard to go back. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.