AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the rules by which a non-guaranteed recording will be deleted to make space for another recording i.e. which one should be overwritten first? Last night I had an almost full disk filled with a mixture of guaranteed and non-guaranteed recordings with a couple of other programs (both G and NG) set to record. What happened was that the new NG programs were recorded (deleting some stored NG programs in the process) but then those new recordings were deleted to make space for the new G recording (even though there were older NG programs still in the Replay Guide) Should this have happened?

Hope the above is clear!

Joel

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The manual gives some explanation but it may still be a little bit unclear. Simply put as a basic rule guaranteed beats out everything and newer beats out older.

I just guarantee or "preserve this show" on anything I want to keep after it is already recorded. I try not to have that many guaranteed scheduled recordings. The main reason you see so many of us on this forum have upgraded our hard drives and use DVArchive is so we don't run out of space.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorjb
Does anyone know the rules by which a non-guaranteed recording will be deleted to make space for another recording i.e. which one should be overwritten first?

It depends on what channel they are in, so it is possible that brand new NG stuff will be removed by newer NG stuff while really old NG stuff is still there in a different channel.

I've never seen rules that say what NG stuff is deleted when G stuff needs the space. Simply that NG stuff is at risk of being deleted of G stuff needs the space. So if you want to keep NG stuff, then it must be changed to G or it could be deleted. If you don't have the G space, then you are sort of stuck because you can't really do anything as you have no space left, even on an empty drive.

I'm just guessing here, but it is possible that the Replay engine uses the same logic for deleting as it does for recording, which means it would delete stuff from the oldest NG channel first, then move to the newest channel. (or that could be backwards in the case of deletes).

NG means what it says, it isn't G, so Replay will do with it what it pleases.

One thing you can do is dump NG stuff to your PC using DVArchive (with the 4000, 4500 series). This gives you much more room and makes all of the NG stuff G.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.