AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I newbie I need some information... Why does my Toshiba 57H81 look fuzzy or blur when viewing non-HD DirecTV on SVideo. I this just inherent when viewing mpeg compressed 480 video on HDTV? Is there something I can do to make it better?

Kevan

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the same problem with my old Sony DirecTV on my FPTV using S-Video upconverted to 1024x768 through a scaler. The images were blurry and washed. Of course I was using a 7' wide screen in a stretched mode, so that did not help. I recently purchased a Sony HD receiver for OTA HD. After seeing HD through my projector, I connected a Multi-Switch so I could have another DirecTV feed. I was shocked at how good the picture looked from DirecTV via my HD receiver.

The bottom line is the analog S-Video is RGB crunched into a smaller package; Remember, the original signal is digital. Then converted back to digital for the scaler to manipulate the data. Then converted back to analog to the projector. There is bound to be loss and it shows as you blow up the picture. Your TV has the same process as my FPTV, but its done in once chassis vs my external components.

In the case of my Sony HD set, the digital data is converted to analog 1080i once and sent out VGA. Most of the lines are preserved, thus a far better picture.

---Andy Garabedian

[This message has been edited by andyg (edited 09-21-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.