Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been browsing the boards while researching RPTVs and really appreciate all of your knowledge and insights.

We are interested in completing our home theater with a large-screen TV. Although we like the Mits Diamond 55" the best for overall viewing, the set is just too big for the space available in our family room.

So we have it narrowed down to 48" Mits Platinum or Sony LCD 50" In the showroom we watched an HDTV signal and a DVD and they were stunning on the Sony.

Here's the problem: When we viewed non-HD or non-DVD signals, they were not handled as well by the Sony LCD. They were pixelated. While we enjoy DVDs, it seems that we all watch regular digital cable quite often, too. So, in your expert opinions:

1. Do you agree that the LCD is not as good as conventional RPTVs (like Mits) in handling non-HD broadcasts?

2. If so, is it worth the extra money to have a TV that displays better HD/DVD signals, but a poorer regular TV signals. (I know that it is ultimately my decision, cost/benefit etc. but I am interested in your opinions).

Thanks a lot,

Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Paul,

I just got my GWII 50" on Monday. I did a lot of reading before buying the set, so I was prepared for not so great SD out of the box. After applying UMR's tweaks, the SD picture is much much better. Since I've only applied the user tweaks, you might be able to convince someone in a store to allow you to apply them to an SD signal before you make your purchase.

Cheers,

Ray

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Paul,

I'm not fanatical about any TV but happen to own a 60" GWII. From that perspective: I was actually pleasantly suprised how SD channels looked. SD digital is at times almost like HD and overall very good. SD analog channels vary from good to pretty bad, with the remark that the bad ones looked bad on my old 20" TV as well. Most SD analog is pretty decent, no problem watching it. My signal source is Time-Warner cable.

Make sure that in the store you're watching analog SD through either the composite, S-video or antenna input of the TV. Otherwise the cablebox is doing decoding/upconversion and that will generally look worse than having the TV do the job (noticable difference on my TV).

-Rob-

·
Registered
407 Posts
Paul,

I took delivery of a 50" GWII from the Stereo Shop (I notice your are also in Rochester). Out of the box, the PQ was very good (better than I expected). If you looked at CC or Rowe, the PQ wasn't as good there as it was at home after I applied umr'stwaeaks. I haven't tackled umr's service menu tweaks yet, but the other postings indicate noticeable improvement.

HD and DVD = spectacular. SD = very good. OTA=watchable, but the other signals make it look worse by comparison. I mention this because we will be getting local channels via DirecTv in the fall and OTA becomes a non-issue (I will alos be putting up an antenna this summer to pick up CBS, NBC and ABC in HD from Syracuse).

The other thing that I have learned on the forum (gret, isn't it?) is that the GWII does such a good job with PQ that it also amplifies a poor signal. Said another way, if the signal is bad coming in, it will be bad when you see it on the TV, hence the pixelization. umr's tweaks should address that for the SD, but as I said earlier, the SD on my set is not pixelized.

I pretty much eliminated RPTVs like the Mits because of things like poor viewing angle, possible convergence issues, burn-in potential and sheer bulk. The GWII also offers more features that I found compelling - insertion of a memory stick for digital pictures, the way the "wide zoom" feature works (looks normal, not stretched), the ability to "skip" Video inputs that aren't being used via the menu (tremendous benefit when using the remote to go from one source to another), the DVI connection and the way the twin view and index functions work.

Also, I don't know where you are shopping, but the Stereo Shop provided a super deal to me (better than CC or Rowe) and I got the 5 year parts/labor warranty for $329 (this would include bulb replacement). These folks are terrific to work with ( I am a 20 year Customer) and they will deal effectively with any "stuck pixels" that may arise. I have no affiliation with them other than years of satisfaction. I mention all of this because they don't have the GWII on the sales floor. I had purchased the rest of my all new (modest) home theater components from them and when the saleman found out I had the TV on order for a month elsewhere, he told me they had 25 in the warehouse and could get it to me in a few days (and they did!).

Finding a stand was problematic until my next door neighbor custom-built one for me. It's beautiful. As a matter of fact, I promised Rop (Rob from above) that I would post some pictures for him and that should be done shortly.

I've rambled a bit here, but the GWII has just been terrific. So much so that I'll make you this offer so you can see for yourself. I live in Fairport. If you are interested in seeing the TV, PM me here on the forum and I'll call you. We can talk through it and/or you can stop over and see for yourself.

Ray

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great responses.

I have been shopping at Charlotte and they informed me that the signal I was watching on the GWII was Satellite. I don't know about what type of input they were using (component, S-video, etc.)

I guess I will ask about warranty issues etc. It sounds like Stereo Shop was great.

Thanks again all,

Paul

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I have the 50XBR800. PQ on the SD with Directv S-T-I-N-KS. When I installed a Winegard antenna with the intention of quadrupling my HD content w/ OTA, I received a great surprise...the OTA SD was vastly...well, about 20% better than the Directv SD content. It made the difference between...say...a golf tournament go from painful and unwatchable to pretty good and definitely watchable.

So tweak away, but if you have Directv, or I asume Dishnetwork, you will get lousy PQ w/ that compressed signal.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In fact, I have Time Warner Digital Cable, which I understand from the AVS forums, doesn't necessarily mean a better signal for the consumer. But the store in which I viewed the GWII had satellite.

·
Registered
282 Posts
WOLVERNOLE,

I am sorry, but I beg to differ.....

I have a DirecTV/Tivo conbination unit (DirecTivo) and have applied all of umr's tweaks as well as some slight adjustments for my taste and I am getting a VASTLY better picture than what I started with which is more than watchable.

I would say that my standard def picture via DirecTV is now AT LEAST 80-90% of what it was before on my CRT base RPTV.

PROMANO - please don't be discouraged... with the right amount of effort, you will be more than pleased with a DirecTV signal - trust me....

Aaron

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Originally posted by aaron.s

WOLVERNOLE,

I am sorry, but I beg to differ.....

I have a DirecTV/Tivo conbination unit (DirecTivo) and have applied all of umr's tweaks as well as some slight adjustments for my taste and I am getting a VASTLY better picture than what I started with which is more than watchable.

I would say that my standard def picture via DirecTV is now AT LEAST 80-90% of what it was before on my CRT base RPTV.

Aaron-

I'm glad to hear that you are satisfied with the PQ of your SD from satellite. I, however, am not. Regardless of your SD pic quality, if you are in a position to receive SD from OTA (antenna)...DO IT. My point was not so much to discuss how good one can improve satellite SD, because I know it cannot match a decent OTA signal due to the compression factor hundreds of AVS members have noted (ad nauseum) over about the last two years.;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by promano
In fact, I have Time Warner Digital Cable, which I understand from the AVS forums, doesn't necessarily mean a better signal for the consumer. But the store in which I viewed the GWII had satellite.
Hi Promano,

I too have TW digital cable and am pretty happy with picture quality (this is on a 60" GWII). The digital channels are very good, the analog channels vary from "OK" to "good", depending on channel, but they are definitely very watchable. Of course, different people have different sensitivities to imperfections so your experience may be difference. I was pleasantly suprised though after reading all the postings about crappy SD on the GW. Doing the user menu (ie. simple ones, not the service menu) changes from UMR's tweaking list helps too.

-Rob-

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Rop and others-

I hope that I am not being misunderstood here. I am not "knocking" the /my Sony 50XBR800 (commonly mis-referred to as the GW II ). It is NOT the tv's fault...as has been repeated (also, ad nauseum) here on AVS, "garbage in, garbage out"...the stinking overcompression of the satellite signal just plays havoc on P.Q. You see similar results on some fine plasma screens, CRT, etc. :(

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WOLVERNOLE
Rop and others-

I hope that I am not being misunderstood here. I am not "knocking" the /my Sony 50XBR800 ...
Totally agree with what you say. Though IMO it's probably a combination of having a TV that is razor sharp, has a large screen, and thus shows every flaw, and a so-so source.

The reason I posted is that not all cable is created equal. I consider myself lucky that TW here actually looks pretty good at 60", but acknowledge that other locations may not be so lucky. Especially analog channels will likely vary even within the same provider as signal levels and signal polution differs from street to street (that should not be a problem for the digital channels though).

-Rob-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.