AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fujitsu PDS-5002 plasma monitor does not support HDCP over its DVI port.

Which of these Upconverting DVI players will work with my Displays DVI?

thanks

· Registered
39 Posts
The Bravo D1 has been discontinued, you have to dig to find it. The D2 uses HDCP from what i understand through the manufacturer's literature. You know something about this Gregg? I would definetly be interested in a D2 if it didn't use HDCP, but the manufacturer says it does.

· Registered
111 Posts
DVD Players that support the playback of CSS-encrypted discs are required by the DVD-CCA CSS Procedural Specification and license agreement to apply HDCP to all DVI and HDMI outputs (if the player has them; no matter the resolution), or DTCP to IEEE-1394 and USB outputs (if the player has them).

I believe there has been a recent crack-down on dvd player vendors and dvd chipset vendors that are violating the CSS Spec, or making it easier for the user to violate the spec post purchase.

For what its worth, a new CSS Spec was just issued; v2.3. It clarifies much of the above, and clarifies what PCs with DVD player drives and DVI outputs can do. PCs are treated differently!

--xb31

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slackerjack
The Bravo D1 has been discontinued, you have to dig to find it. The D2 uses HDCP from what i understand through the manufacturer's literature. You know something about this Gregg? I would definetly be interested in a D2 if it didn't use HDCP, but the manufacturer says it does.
I hadn't noticed the D2 uses HDCP. If so, my mistake. I was still thinking there was a third option (at least from last year). But, I can't remember it.

Whatever the case, I'd be inclined to recommend the V880 based on feedback here and based on the fact that additional future options are EXTREMELY unlikely.

I think DVI was originally intented to be a computer input -- though it's evolved to more and led to HDMI connectors. I would agree that rules for PCs seem different than DVDs. (Seems odd but true). So, if you want a DVD player without HDCP, I think the V880 is your only viable option.

· Registered
39 Posts
Listen to this sob story. I ordered a Momistu 880 deluxe from a company close to my location. They told me they shipped it, but the tracking number they gave me was wrong. By the time we got it figured out, it was delivered by fed ex.

The messed up part is they didn't send it with a receipt required. The fed ex driver booted the player out at my doorstep. Naturally i get a million solicitors a day at my house. Four days after the delivery date, we figured out the tracking number snafu.

The company and fed ex both say it was delivered to my house on monday. I pulled two solicitor tags off my door monday. I think one of them got a nice new 880 deluxe dvd player.

To make a long story short, my credit card company gave me the money back, but the seller is a might bit pissed (won't answer my e-mails). One seller won't take any defective players back, and the only other seller (that accepts returns) is out 1 - 2 weeks on delivery.

This sucks. I've got an Optoma RD50. Its $400 to get them to install a HDCP compliant board in the tv. I was trying to be clever and save a nickle and not have to install the board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.