AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I've been to this forum, sorry for the question, and I hope you don't take offense to this rotine question. I am just so lost as it's been a while. However, I am an audio afficianado - I have a nice 5.1 surround system (paradigm reference series speakers and a denon AV reciever and the package was about $10k 8 years ago - so, I am serious about the quality of audio and I am no Bose fan type here).

I am mostly recording music only now. from DVD's or from my directTV DVR. So, I don't need HDD (I've had those types before) but I want a nice audio connection, that is not HDMI (well my blu-ray source DVD player has an HDMI output which I can use, so if the DVD recoreder can recoird DD5.1 with HDMI than that's fine, but I need an optical input in the DVD recorder to record from my DirectTV DVR). Prefer optical output and a DVD recorder that can record in dolby digital (is 5.1 possible ?......yeah! I've been away from the AV world for a while
).

Also, my TV is also 8 years old and only has component HD connection only (no HDMI) and I do have a basic Blue-ray player with an optical output which I will use as the source for my DVD to DVD recording).

Can someone recommened a suitable DVD recorder for me (No need for internal tuner, no need for HDD, optical audio input for hoepfully recording DD5.1, if recorders can upconvert 420p DVD's to 1080i/p that would be nice as well and realtively easy to operate).

P.S: basically my CHEAP DVD recorder with just the composite audio connection I have now was ok for TV programs, but the sound with muisc videos are beyond attrocious so I am going to trash it and I Need a DVD-recorder that can record proper sound - that's basically it).

P.S2: For those who are wondering why I would need 5.1 for music, the DVD's I am recording are Indian music and Indian songs are routinely done in 5.1,... and if anyone wonders why Indian music deserves a 5.1 system
, let me remind everyone, one of these Indian music composer won the Oscars last year (first Indian to do so)

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
AFAIK, no std def DVD recorder has digital audio inputs.

I think there was/is a JVC (?) recorder with no tuner that records DD5.1 but it costs ~$2000!

Even the available high def DVRs (Tivo, Moxi, DTVPal DVR) can't record DD5.1 from an external input other than coax cuz they don't have video or audio line inputs.

Maybe this will spark more responses from people who know more than I do on this subject?

·
Banned
65 Posts
In ALL Honesty,

you would be MUCH better off getting a

Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 unit. It's a DVD recorder ONLY! NO HDD!

It has AUDIO RECORDING LEVELS

FOR BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT AUDIO CHANNELS!

I have this unit and it is awesome!

NO standalone recorders record in 5.1 DD!

There's like 3-4 of these units on ebay

right now for about $100-$150.

For YOUR application you CANNOT go wrong with this

set-up.

The AUDIO CONTROL LEVEL METERS GO UPTO +14DB!

OR you can go with a Sima A/V mixer model# 500.

It also has recording level meters and controls.

I have that one for sale for $100.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think there was at least one DVD recorder with multi-channel analog audio inputs (the JVC mentioned?), but it was sold a long time ago. Never seen one with any type of digital input (optical, coaxial, HDMI) in the US market.

pcarfan, I think you need a computer solution to record what you want.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I cannot for the life of me understand the obsession people come here with lately re "I need an obscure semi-pro feature set but oh, no, I don't want an HDD - what a horrible idea - the very thought gives me hives!"
Where does this notion come from? Have you any idea what an absolute pain it is to record directly onto optical media with todays absolute crap hardware and even worse media??? There is little-to-no cost savings in a unit without HDD, and in 9 of 10 cases you can't even buy a machine that will do what you want without an HDD. The most budget-conscious teenager wouldn't even consider a recording device that worked only direct-to-disc, for that matter couldn't even buy one if they wanted to. The market has died for blank optical media and devices that record to it in real time (1:1,, or "1x"). Direct optical recording often results in terrible quality burns or noticeable glitches which require doing the whole project over again: today's blanks are designed to burn at a minimum 6x speed, preferably 16x. This necessitates a "source > HDD > optical disc" workflow.

That vented, no, there isn't any stand-alone consumer disc recorder that offers high-quality audio performance and multichannel digital connections. For those who have not paid attention during the last decade, PC solutions have all but killed the market for versatile standalone audio/video recording devices. Anything beyond the most simplistic record-off-the-TV or take-verbal-notes-in-class task requires a decent PC, good software, and the proper optional board, which would have the connections and offer the flexible quality you want. I'm a big fan of Pioneer DVD recorders (I own several and have repaired many), but I would not recommend the ancient Elite DVR-7000 at this late date. While it is a beautiful machine crafted at a time when $2000 bought something that looked like it was worth $2000, today it is hopelessly obsolete. Its burner expects old 4x media which hasn't been available for years. A small handful of cult users here still manage to make them work and swear by them, but most have given up: they are too old. A nice collectible, but not reliable.

You will need to consider PC-based recording. Even the older expensive "pro" standalone DVD recorders did not have multi-channel digital audio inputs, so no point in combing eBay for one. Multi-channel and/or high-quality audio input is a feature conspicuously absent, partly due to Hollywood piracy concerns and partly because its unworkable to master in a standalone device. The market is much too small to support standalone units, PC tools own this segment. On the bright side, if you already have a recent PC all you'll need is the board interface, which is much less expensive than any standalone would be (if one were actually available).

·
Registered
659 Posts
Maybe some people's resistance to HDDs comes from ingrained "VCR mentality" that quests for a direct, DVD-based replacement for the old VCR workflow. Back in the day, I very rarely dubbed from one VHS tape to another because of the PQ loss, even at SP speed. As I've recounted in previous posts, that became a serous problem when I amassed a huge number of time-shift tapes with "keeper" material spread across them. As soon as HDD DVD recorders hit the streets, I had the AH-HA moment and realized that was what I needed. Record it to HDD, never worry about having enough tape/disc space, watch it, edit and burn to disc if you want to keep (or just delete if you don't). Briefly, this summer, I did some audio time-shifting using DVD-RAM discs and a Panasonic DMR-ES15. The setup got the job done, but wrangling the physical media was a trip in the Wayback Machine. Not as bulky as the stacks of VHS tapes I used to have sitting around at least....

As I understand it, recordable DVD media are meant for high-speed (i.e., faster than 1x) dubbing and were not designed for real-time recording. So they really work best with the high-speed dub from hard drive work flow.

For audio-only recording, any DVD recorder is a compromise. If you're really, really into high-end sound quality, the PC route is the way to go. Even professional audio engineers have gone that way.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
pcarfan, I have a vague memory that somewhere on these threads, someone mentioned that Philips once made a Euro model DVDR that had a digital audio input, don't recall if it was optical, or coax. Chances of finding one, and making it work for you are virtually nil. As others have said, PCs are your only means of recording DD5.1.

That said, I have made some very nice recordings from some of my vinyl, played back on a Linn turntable, and recorded on my Pio 640. I have also dubbed CDs, and found the copy indistinguishable from the original. Of course none of that was DD5.1.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Pios do PCM as well. The speed is XP, but I think there is a different designation for the PCM. That's what I used for the dubs I did. I used a DVD player with the display on, recorded as the picture on the dubs. I recorded them to the HDD, then put in chapter marks at song breaks. Worked great.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Okay, the original poster, said that he did NOT

want a HDD unit, so I pointed him to the

Pioneer DVR-7000. It WILL work for what HE WANTS to do.

I've been using mine to record all of the

FREE HBO and Cinamax Channels for the last 3 days.

All the good Adult nudey flix late at night and for FREE!

For the next 2 weeks! Can't beat that! Or Maybe...

I check my discs after I burned them and STILL they

play fine with no problems.(KNOCK on wood).

I ALSO have the Pioneer 640H HDD unit.

Quick question though, on the 640H

can I use a Keyboard in the USB jack?

Someone in another posting said it was possible,

but the manual says nothing about that.

Titleing would be so much easier.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I have a Pio 640. Also, I just got an open box international model Pio 560. You cannot use a keyboard with the 640. In another thread, I mentioned that when the 640 came out, we made a wish list for the next model, and I suggested the keyboard feature. In that thread, I also said that my 560 does have that feature. In a different thread, also speaking of the Pio 560, I mentioned that it had that feature. I am curious to know if the Canadian 560s and 660s had that feature. I'd think they probably did, but I don't know.

·
Banned
205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/19528822

I cannot for the life of me understand the obsession people come here with lately re "I need an obscure semi-pro feature set but oh, no, I don't want an HDD - what a horrible idea - the very thought gives me hives!"

Thanks for the laugh to start my day off!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/19532601

I have a Pio 640. Also, I just got an open box international model Pio 560. You cannot use a keyboard with the 640. In another thread, I mentioned that when the 640 came out, we made a wish list for the next model, and I suggested the keyboard feature. In that thread, I also said that my 560 does have that feature. In a different thread, also speaking of the Pio 560, I mentioned that it had that feature. I am curious to know if the Canadian 560s and 660s had that feature. I'd think they probably did, but I don't know.

I don't know about the Canadian 560s and 660s but you can use a keyboard for titling with my Pio clone Sony RDRHX780. This is not documented in the user manual, I found out about it from this forum. Great feature in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if anyone ever tried to use a keyboard to enter titles on a 640? Maybe I should try it.

Back OT, I just finished a close reading ot the manual for my international Pio 560. It says you can record DD 5.1 from a HDD camcorder using the USB2 input. Any chance some electronics wizard could make a converter or adapter, so that input could be used for recording other things in DD 5.1?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts