AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Denon blew out, and I am not getting it fixed. It is gigantic, and is really more of a PITA than an inspiration to me. I am considering the Marantz 1603 because it is small, but thought I would check here for a different idea.

Is there a surround amp that just has optical in -- no HDMI switching? And 5.1 or 7.1 setup. I am wired for 7.1, but I could compromise. I can switch with my LED panel between Tivo and Xbox, and it would be more convenient to just run the audio down into a dedicated amp that would just handle sound processing and amplification.

I know this is heresy to some, but if anyone out there has an idea (I know about the NAD 2-channel unit) lmk.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
There are lots of them on the used market for cheap -- everybody wants HDMI now. Units which once were considered high-end are selling for the prices of current entry-level models. E.g. the Marantz 9000 pre/pro was going for less than $300 the last time I checked, but it's physically a lot larger than a 6003.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a cool idea - clever!

Sadly, I am looking for something smaller. I was hoping for something like the NAD-3020 with 5+1 or 7+1. Eliminate all the video switching architecture and just surround amp with remote (and IP control, wish wish)

The big guys are going to lose a lot of ground to the new sound bars if they keep fighting the new architectures! My dream would be a Sonos with surround sound processing and a single optical in. Link to whole-house audio when I don't want TV and be a surround-sound integrated amp when I do.

But I am an outlier for now. In time.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
TV doesn't always make a good audio switcher. Most downgrade some of the audio sources passed through it.
What tv are you using? Have you tried to verify the true form/quality that TiVo and xbox pass audio through the tv with toslink?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
yeah audio through TV is lousy, also it probably drops multi-channel.

If you want tube 2 channel amp, and multi-channel downmixing, I'd probably look for a older type av pre-amp, something like Lexicon DC-2 should be available for peanuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts