AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 61a61. It is standard 4:3. I want to connect and htpc, mostly for audio library. I have no need to game on it whatsoever. Is the best way to connect via S-video on a vga card with tv-out? Will this be an acceptable dvd player, or should I stick with a standalone unit. I would like to view video, but my main concern is a digital jukebox.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've had very good experience with the s-video out using the Conexant CX25871 chip. For DVD playback I think it comes very close to my standalone player. Before that I tried the ATI Radeon 8500 card I had in another system and the s-video output looked terrible.

I got a PNY GeForce 4 Ti card, but if you don't care about game performance then the Albatron GeForce 2 MX400LT looks like a great deal. Its $48 including free shipping from newegg.com and uses the same CX25871 chip for s-video out.

--

Steve

·
Registered
326 Posts
I currently have my non HDTV 60" Philips/Mag hooked to my HTPC via S-Video right now till my "Ebacherville Home Theater" is finished, I have a ATI 7500, it looks ok for DVD and Divx (we have watchmany movies), not quite as good as a standalone box via S-video however... But Destop or applications look like crap... very fuzzy.

I have done this with many diffrent video cards and scan converters , you have to spend quite a bit of money on a scan converter to get good results....and quite a bit means close to the price of a budget projector... Kind of makes it a mute point..

I would look around an find some one here thats getting rid of a older PJ or check out the CRT fourm.. They can usualy direct you twards a cheap source for a older CRT.. If you were close to me I could get you a used Zenith CRT for $200.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.