AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a first time poster, but I have been reading the forum on and off for a couple years now when I needed info.

I am really interested in buying a 73" Mitsu DLP (73738 I believe). That would be the new model with the built in 3D tech and online capability. I keep an eye out for them and am seeing what appear to be some pretty good deals.

My only real apprehension is all the DLP horror stories about bulbs, ballasts, color wheels and BGLODs. Reviews on sites are full of complaints along these lines, but suspiciously always seem to be the only review ever made by the reviewers.

So I thought I would ask here where many of you have had multiple DLPs. Are these TVs worth it? Are they really as much trouble as some seem to state? How many of you have not had these problems? I'm just wanting to get input from folks who have not bought the TV and then regretted it due to never ending problems.

Thank you or any insight you can offer.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Reading up about tech products on Internet forums gives you the same perspective as an alien landing at a hospital on this planet - you quickly form the opinion that most people are really sick.

The nature of the beast means that people are far more likely to post about problems. In fact few people even bother to find a forum for their product until they have a problem with it. They come in seeking answers and then disappear.

These sets are shipping in large quantities right now - if there were widespread problems inherent in the technology there would be a lot more angry people in here than there are right now

Don't have experience with multiple DLPs, but I replaced my ten year old cost a fortune back then 46" HD CRT RP Mits with a 65837 almost three months ago and so far I am delighted with it

·
Registered
782 Posts
Lately watching craigslist for tvs for sale, I've notice a fairly good number of dead LCD tv's.

In the end, things are not made like they used to be. DLP's do have replaceable and wear parts BUT most are fixable, LCD's or plasmas on the other hand die a slow death or often a quick fatal death.

Best advise is to buy an extended warranty on whatever you get.

I personally prefer the picture on a DLP to practically all the others - the old Pioneer Kuro picture I could have lived with
I haven't seen a LCD that I really like the picture on yet (with the exception of the older sony sxrd), though the newer 240 hz sets are getting closer.

So it also depends on what you like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I note the problems with bulbs and such a s reason I am a bit apprehensive, I also realize they are a benefit in some ways. As you said, if a Plasma or LCD goes bad...you replace the entire TV which is costly. If a bulb or ballast or color wheel goes bad in the DLP, you spend a few hundred to fix it rather than having to replace the whole TV. That is a bit of a benefit, unless you have to replace them all the time. Some reviewers and such give the impression it is a yearly thing to have to pump 500-1000 dollars into the TV to keep it running. That scares me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nope, most aren't even close to that. Depending on how you watch tv, at most maybe a lamp once a year - if you turn it on and off alot.

I have a buddy who hasn't even replaced the lamp in his and it is4-5 years old.

A good bit of color wheel problems have been fixed with the air bearing instead of. ball bearing wheels.

In the end, make sure the tv has adequate ventilation - ie. not jammed into an enclosure or against the wall tightly, try not to turn the tv on and off more than needed. By that I mean try not to turn it on and off like 4 times an hour
If you are walking out of the room for just a few minutes, it is better to just leave it on - as far as lamp life.

I just got a 32" LG lcd for the bedroom, it has a buzzing noise already - less than a month old.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjroddy /forum/post/19626669

Reading up about tech products on Internet forums gives you the same perspective as an alien landing at a hospital on this planet - you quickly form the opinion that most people are really sick.

So true! I came across this forum because I'm waiting for delivery of a 60738 I bought from Tiger Direct for $599. It was somewhat of an impulse buy,since I stumbled upon it while browsing for DLP projectors.(I live in a condo and ambient light would have been an issue anyway)

I currently own a Samsung 46 inch LCD that is all but 8 months old,and while it's a nice set I just wanted something bigger for watching blurays.I let my wife talk me out of getting a larger set at the time,which honestly was above our budget.So...not wanting to leave the store empty handed....I bought the 46.

Anyway,even knowing the odds are in my favor,I too got a little freaked out reading all the horror stories.I am especially worried since it is an open box item.I've been imagining all the potential ways this TV has been abused by handling/shipping,plus the possibility the returns department missed something when they inspected it.I can just see myself getting this set up in my living room and pressing the power button and it not coming on,or the picture is misaligned or there's a bright spot in the middle,or....LOL!

It's just so darned easy to click a mouse and buy something!

I know it'll be covered by warranty if it's defective,but it'll shatter my confidence in the machine and I'll spend everyday second guessing myself about the purchase and wondering what else will happen.Holy crap...Has anyone else felt like this or am I just crazy???

·
Registered
611 Posts
You're worrying to much

For every post here about something horrible happening there are more than 99 very happy people who are so busy watching their nice new big TVs that they don't have time to post on the internet

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well if it matters any, the 32" I just bought on 11/22, is going back - buzzing noise and picture appears washed out (maybe supposed to be like that) but the buzzing definitely not - and the buzzing has something to do with the light source (not audio) as it changes depending on the backlight setting

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos /forum/post/19648670

Well if it matters any, the 32" I just bought on 11/22, is going back - buzzing noise and picture appears washed out (maybe supposed to be like that) but the buzzing definitely not - and the buzzing has something to do with the light source (not audio) as it changes depending on the backlight setting

32" what? From Tiger Direct? The way I figure it,I got such a good price if there's anything wrong other than shipping damage,I'll have Mitsubishi send a tech out and fix it under warranty.

I mean,seriously....60" for $599?

Heck,I'm starting to wonder if I might have made a mistake by not getting the 73" for $799! LOL!

·
Registered
359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenthx /forum/post/0

32" what? From Tiger Direct? The way I figure it,I got such a good price if there's anything wrong other than shipping damage,I'll have Mitsubishi send a tech out and fix it under warranty.

I mean,seriously....60" for $599?

Heck,I'm starting to wonder if I might have made a mistake by not getting the 73" for $799! LOL!

The 73738 is $1,799 on that site, but that's a heck of a deal for the 60"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadocs
The 73738 is $1,799 on that site, but that's a heck of a deal for the 60"
Oops,I meant the 65" was $799.They had a 73'' on sale too,but don't think it was a 738 series.I'm wanting to say it was $1000 or so.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The 32" is a LCD - just saying they all have some problems - a new LG from JR.

Doesn't matter where though, as it was in a factory sealed box.

Good deal on the DLP, I think you will like it.

Did you buy an extended warranty??? I would get a 5 yr. in home without lamp if it is alot cheaper than with a lamp.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I own two DLP's. One is an old(er) Samsung HLN617w - 61" - 720p that still has a fantastic picture. Replace the lamp every few years = like new.

My new baby is the 2010 model year Mitsubishi 82738 - 82" - 1080p that also has a fantastic picture. Both are home calibrated.

I do feel sorry for those who have bad experiences owning DLP's but you can rest assured that there are those who own LCD, and Plasma sets who also have bad experiences.

My old Samsung needed to have the color wheel replaced (under extended warranty) but as mentioned the technology has been drastically improved in that area so it is a non-issue today.

For the money you simply cannot beat a DLP = screen size comparison.

However, I would recommend a calibration for the best possible picture quality. Or at least get a Mitsubishi 738 series so you can make many more adjustments to get the picture looking good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts