AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was looking at replacement batteries for the Canon series, specifically the BP-827. It's pretty high up in price, but while looking I found this:

http://shopxtreme.com/canon-bp827-34...e9f55ecb8d0b5a

The battery there is 3400mah where the real BP-827 is 2670mAh. Cheaper with llonger battery life? Has anyone dealt with the larger Canon batteries? Does it bulk up the camera too much? I was thinking about just going with this battery:

http://shopxtreme.com/canon-bp809-24...ty-p-1617.html

It would be close to the OEM BP-827 in mah, but hopefully with the same form factor as the original OEM battery. Anyone with experience with these batteries? Thanks.

Edit: Oh I also found this website:

http://www.bestbatt.com/SearchResult...nsive_Search=Y

Those batteries are made in Japan as opposed to the first batteries I showed which were made in China. They are also closer to the OEM batteries in mah.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing just bought a hf11 on e-bay (don't have it yet) and noticed a lot of batterys for sale. It appears they must use a seperate charger, and the battery indicator in the camera won't give battery life. What happens when you pull data from the camcorder, it has to be plugged in, if you can't charge the aftermarket batterys in the cam. do you have to put a (OE) battery back in? Lots of questions.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM-10 /forum/post/15519398

I have been wondering the same thing just bought a hf11 on e-bay (don't have it yet) and noticed a lot of batterys for sale. It appears they must use a seperate charger, and the battery indicator in the camera won't give battery life. What happens when you pull data from the camcorder, it has to be plugged in, if you can't charge the aftermarket batterys in the cam. do you have to put a (OE) battery back in? Lots of questions.

Hmmm...you would think that if it can utilize the same external charger as the original OEM batteries it would also be able to charge in the camcorder itself. I just emailed the company to ask them that question. Let's see what their response will be.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo /forum/post/15517425

Hi, I was looking at replacement batteries for the Canon series, specifically the BP-827. It's pretty high up in price, but while looking I found this:

http://shopxtreme.com/canon-bp827-34...e9f55ecb8d0b5a

The battery there is 3400mah where the real BP-827 is 2670mAh. Cheaper with llonger battery life? Has anyone dealt with the larger Canon batteries? Does it bulk up the camera too much? I was thinking about just going with this battery:

http://shopxtreme.com/canon-bp809-24...ty-p-1617.html

It would be close to the OEM BP-827 in mah, but hopefully with the same form factor as the original OEM battery. Anyone with experience with these batteries? Thanks.

Edit: Oh I also found this website:

http://www.bestbatt.com/SearchResult...nsive_Search=Y

Those batteries are made in Japan as opposed to the first batteries I showed which were made in China. They are also closer to the OEM batteries in mah.

Do you know if bestbatt.com is a legitmate company? I've been using google to see if there are any complaints or scams related to them, but I don't see much. A few reviews indicate good experiences with them, but other than that, there isn't much on them. Resellerratings.com shows the reviews that I have read, but there are only about 7-19 or something like that.

I am also in the market for a bp-827, but $130 seems to be pretty expensive compared to $60+ for a bp-827 at bestbatt.com

Thanks for any info you may have.

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also very interested in answers to these questions as I'm new to the world of cameras with rechargeable battery packs: HF11, f100fd.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
IMO, it's not worth saving $30 (the difference between one of those $50 imitation batteries and a genuine Canon BP-819).

It won't tell you how much time is left unless it's a Canon battery. Or at least that's what I heard/you would have to find that out once you purchased it.

If it damages your camera, using non-Canon batteries voids the warranty.

Just doesn't sound worth it to me.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After looking through the data I would agree that non-OEM batteries are probably not a good idea. Here are my reasons:

1. Battery level can't be read by camcorder

2. Battery level on the battery itself isn't necessarily accurate and sometimes is stated backwards

3. Can't charge battery in camcorder

4. Some batteries can't use the OEM charger

5. Over-state the mah

6. May void the warranty

7. Annoyingly have to tell the Canon you want to go through with using a non-OEM battery every time you use it.

8. May not last as long as OEM battery

9. Run the risk of battery issues damaging your video or even the camera itself

The only good thing non-OEM batteries have is its pricepoint. Overall I'd say find a website that sells new OEM batteries for a little cheaper. The BP-819 goes for about $80.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i just ordered the same battery thats in the first link, 827 rated @ 3400mah on ebay for 35 bux US.

Anyone have real experience with non-oem batterys? And for those that say it could damage something, what/how exactly could it damage it?

I guess supplying to much juice to the camera?

Either way I'll let everyone know how it works out with this battery.

here's the ebay link:
E-Bay Link

they offer it for 45 dollars with a make an offer link. I offered 35 and they accepted. i figure for 1/3 (or more) the price of a OEM battery, i'll give it a try.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been using OEM batteries purchase from http://www.bestbatt.com/default.asp for over a year in my Canon HG10 and they have performed perfectly..

I am sure some batteries available on the web are crap but the ones provided from Best batt are good quality, as for being unable to read your battery time, I made a mental note of how long the extended batteries worked while testing my camcorder, so I know pretty well how long I have for recording, the money saved helped me buy lots of other acessories... The high capacity batteries do stick out more than the included canon battery but nothing that gets in the way if recording or handling, and the weight difference is very slight.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
So i received my battery and let it charge (plugged directly into the canon charger) over night.

I had to do some running around this evening, so i set it up on my desk pointing out the window and just let it record.

Looks like it got around 3.5 hours of record time. The battery is still in the camera now and the power cord is plugged into the camera.

it SEEMS like its charging. I'll let it run for another 5-10 minutes and then test it.

So for less then 50 bux canadian i get an extra 3.5 hours of record time. I'm pretty happy!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good point Ray,

i'll be watching the battery life. But thats definately one of the problems with these. There isn't an easy way to measure exact battery life.

Also, it does not charge within the camera. Gonna have to charge it externally. Not a big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts