AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basement family room/media room setup in a nine foot three inch wide open room that opens onto another area off to the front side forming an L. There is a large storage closet behind the AV wall (to be removed) that is 130" wide and I was thinking of skewing the home theater room (by angling one side wall) in the existing space giving me a much wider front and a marginally narrower back wall for an existing room. (The front basement wall zigzags twice, stepping back in depth and width but this is ghidden from view by the current oak A/V wall unit.) Anyone have pros or cons to non parallels side walls sonic-wise (5.1 system. movie,cd and SACD/DVD-A)?

The room will need be the existing 9 foot three inch at approximately 2/3rds back along the side walls as one wall is an outside wall and the other side is defined by a support column and a staircase. Seating is a pair of 84" wide leather love seats but a skewed room would allow me width to do a pair of separate 34" wide chairs in the front row with center step to rear riser and avoid headroom problems with ductwork. Ceiling height is seven foot four but I'm used to playing a "war of inches" in remodels in this house and the extra effort pays off. The projector is a Barco 808 to further complicate headroom. Screen is 52x92" and the four corner speakers are fullrange towers (PMC FB1s) and the desire is to hide all speakers behind grillcloth. (I mention this because someone will ask why a 92" screen won't fit in a 111" wide room. I know I can get it all to be a cozy fit in this kind of area but I have no idea of what to expect from skewed walls. A ServoDrive subwoofer will be in a niche behind the front screen and it will be bass equ'ed via a QSC DSP-3.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My 2cents.

Pretty much all rooms will have some effect on the overall sound. By skewing the walls, it makes predicting the problem frequencies harder -- and thus makes treating the room more difficult.

However, even the most carefully constructed room may not behave as it does on paper (you can estimate the flex your wall will have, but once you build it..).

My approach would be to build straight walls, with an awareness of the dimensions (attempting to avoid really bad combinations, but usually that's a matter of a few inches). Then treat the completed room as needed.

Roo

·
Registered
297 Posts
My understanding is that the less parallel walls, the less oportunity for standing waves and that should be a good thing. You might pose the question in the Audio theory, set up and chat forum. If the rest of your layout benefits from the change I say go for it.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The angled walls with wider front idea is to fit in a wider screen (plus full range towers) then would otherwise be possible as it was looking like 47x84" would fit. The system sounds terrific right now, but the whole basement is open concept so I have over double the proposed room volume currently. Didn't think of that one....

I could use the full basement room volume but the only thing the Mrs insisted on was "soundproofed". Not even sure that is possible with the ServoDrive ContraBass but I can equalise the bass via the QSC DSP-3 so I think I have that covered and wall treatments are a given and will be adjustable after the fact. I plan to frame the drywalled walls in abit with oak framing and have removeable GOM panels hiding the wall treatments. That way I can adjust and play with things until I have the sound the way I like it.

The desired room effect will be "cozy", with seating for four but it should work out close to twenty foot long, with eight feet wide rear wall and eleven foot wide front with a 16:9 52x92" screen

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
While Dennis's statement re flutter echo is acoustically correct, Dennis has misused the word "affect." Non-parallel walls will have no effect on flutter echo. Non-parallel walls will not affect flutter echo. Glad I could contribute to this discussion.:)

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The plan is not to have side surrounds. For now the room will be 5.1 with the 4 corner speakers being PMC FB1s and a matching TB1C center channel.

The side panel wall will be limited to treatments of 2" or less in depth but the oddball shaped rear room could be included in the space used for treatments if I did a "viewing room within a room designed for sonics" concept if this would help.

I guess the real question is, would I be able to fix any problems that crop up? Or would it just be all around smarter to not even consider such a room?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Erskine
Flutter echo can only occur where the point of reflection is 90 degrees to the source (or very nearly 90 degrees)...otherwise, it doesn't "flutter" by definition. Therefore, only if monopole side surround speakers are used, will splayed side walls have an impact flutter echo.
Little did I know....

all those years as a youth, hanging out at a poolhall, were not wasted after-all.

angle of incidence......

(applying 'english' (spin) not included).:D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well I for one am enjoying (and learning from) the Dennis / Ethan technical debates. Keep the gloves on boys, no hitting below the belt and retreat to your corners when the bell sounds.

In my real world room, with real world archetectural, esthetic (WAF) budget and time constraints, I am willing to accept compromises. This means that though I have done (and will do more) room treatment, I also employ eq on the sub. I wish the response was flatter throughout the entire room but hey, the back of the riser is not as right as the prime seats and I can live with that for now. I also wish the surround balance and delay times where perfect for all seating positions but I know that will never happen. Most folks come away saying the sound is way better than at the multiplex regardless of where they sit, and I get to sit where I wan't almost all the time.

High on the 'b' list is doing RTA and more room tweaking & accouistic treatment. Meanwhile I'm glad I have my lil ole SPL meter and eq to help me get some of the boom out of my room right now.

-Noam

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.