AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little overwhelmed with all the 3:2 pulldown, de-interleced and re-interleaving and the associated motion-adaptive and motion compensative stuff and what it means to me.

If I went ahead and upgraded to an HDTV, what sort of performance would I get from my interlaced DVD player? I would of course intend to aquire a progressive DVD player, but in the meantime, if I had to use an interlaced player, what sort of results would I see?

For instance. If I was to get an HDTV, which ones have a "film-mode" de-interlacer? That is what I would need in order to view DVD properly from an interlaced player, right? Once I get a progressive player, then thats when the player takes over the de-interlacing, correct? The Toshiba 42H81 rptv has film mode 3:2 pulldown. How does that TV do with interlaced DVD players?

[This message has been edited by cpc (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Don't worry about it. Your current DVD player will look just fine especially with anamorphically enhanced DVD's. Your HDTV will convert the video to 480P just like a progressive scan DVD player would. The only difference is that it is done in the TV and not in the player. The only thing your current DVD player won't do is convert non-anamorphic DVD's to anamorphic. No great loss but a nice feature to have and worth the upgrade to a progressive player along with the 3:2 pulldown.

Buy your HDTV and enjoy your DVD player until you can afford a progressive scan player.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good enough advice. I might not be picking up an HDTV for a little while, but when I do, I will look for one with 3:2 pulldown with a "film-mode" de-interlacer. I would like to get an HDTV like the Toshiba 42H81 for instance, but it would totally through off my current TV/AV stand setup and there is no room otherwise.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
OK the guys advice is sorta right but not completely. Yes if you have a good DVD player and your tv does film line doubling then the picture will be good but not nearly as good as a progressive scan dvd player. The difference may not be huge on some movies but it will be on others. Just depends on the content. If you have the money go buy a $300 or $400 Progressive scan player. if you don't then i wouldnt worry to much about it unless you are just not happy at all with your dvd PQ. Also make sure you are using component output on your dvd player.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Well your options for that are to get a Pioneer elite which does one of the best jobs of line doubling (but is VERY expensive) or you can get an ISCAN pro to use with about any HDTV and it will give you about as good quality as you can get. Either way it's not going to be cheap but will give you what you want.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right. So the 3:2 pulldown with film mode works for interlaced DVD, but for video, like cable,LD and VCR I should use an Iscan Pro?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You can do it that way but the iscan pro will do 3:2 pull down too. You can use the iscan pro for everything and it will do about as good a job as possible.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Cpc-

In your post you mentioned the Toshiba 42H81. Not only does this set have 3/2 Pulldown, but it also does 480i/480p upconversion to 540p. Toshiba calls this the New IDSC-Pro (Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion) (540p/1080i). I have heard that all 480i/480p sources upconverted to 540p looks really nice so VCR, Cable, and LD should look great. I would recommend going with this set, I know I soon am going witht the Toshiba 65HX81.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. I'll have to take a look at them. The only problem right now is that a RPTV was not in my plans. I have an AV/TV stand and it houses all my stuff. Without that stand, I have nowhere to put my rcvr,ld,cd,dvd and vcr. If I used my old vertical stereo cabinet, I'd have nowhere to put it. If I could get a 42" 16:9 HDTV TV display like the 42H81, that would sit atop my AV stand, then tht would be perfect. I am going to stick with my 32" JVC NTSC TV for now, but I'll have to go and have a look at the Toshiba's. It's awefull being spoiled though. The store I go to has a HUGE Pioneer 16:9 HDTV where I demoed my receiver and speakers. It sure looks incredible.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right. Sounds fair enough. I am looking at HDTV's and HD displays, but I likely won't spring for a new display for quite some time. When i do though, I want to be sure my LD, VCR and NTSC cable looks ok too. Many HDTV TV's do a lousy job when line-doubling any NTSC source. I'm looking for a display that will do a good job with LD,VCR, Cable and interlaced DVD for now, and even when I get a progressive DVD player, I don't want the other sources to look like crap.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Toshiba 57H81 with 3:2 pulldown in film mode.

I have a cheap Panasonic A120 non progressive DVD player.

I use the component in/outs and optical digital audio in/outs. I get fantastic video quality (and sound quality) from this combination.

My incentive to purchase a progressive player would be to consolidate my CD and DVD player into one carosel unit. Being able to play CD, CD-R, MP3, DVD-A, DVD-R, and commercially available DVD's in one unit would be nice.

Quality with a progressive player should be slightly better, but would I notice it? My opinion is that on most DVD's I would not see a difference.

dan

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's cool. And again I must ask, how is the TV with video? Ie cable TV, VHS and Laserdiscs?

So the TV takes the interlaced fields and applies 3:2 pulldown? I guess it somehow avoids putting 2 of the wrong fields together to cause combing etc?

You could have those things with a Panasonic Rv31 or Cv51. I bought a CV51 and said forget it to progressive because at the time I didn't have a progressive display, nor did I have faith in the technology. I still don't. They do a test with all these players and 10 out 18 players fail most of the tests and almost all of them fail at least one or 2 tests.

If I could get a TV like the 42H81 to fit on top of my TV/AV stand, and it could do interlaced or at least not look like crap with video (cable,vcr & LD) then I would seriously consider it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
CPC,

Sorry, I did not know that those were your circumstances. I am not to familiar with the non-RPTV Toshibas, but from what I have heard they too look very nice. Looking at Toshiba's website the 34" (34HF81) and the 36" (36HF71) it states that these HDTVs have IDSC II (Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion - 480p/1080i) and 3/2 Pull Down. Which (correct me if I am wrong) means all non-HDTV signals are converted to 480p (Progressive Scan DVD quality). I hope this helps.

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
200 Posts
cpc,

the toshiba seems to do a good job depending on the source. You ask about "cable". I have stated elsewhere on these boards I was and continue to be disappointed with the quality of Direct TV (which varies significantly depending on channel, time of day, etc). Direct TV HDTV HBO and HDNet look fantastic. VHS tapes look fine, but then I am never expecting the best anyway.... depending on the original recording, (source), and age of the tape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.