AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there was any high quality deinterlacing software out there. I would like to deinterlace a DVD to 720x480p 24fps and store it in an AVI or similar file.

I'd like to do further post processing on it once it's in avi format and let the software take it's time for the best possible image quality.

I tried dvd2avi, but I got severe combing in some scenes. It looks like their deinterlace method is a simple weave.

So does anyone know any software that will do this ? I prefer free software, but I'm not opposed to buying commercial software (within reason).

·
Registered
337 Posts
You may actually want to use an Avisynth filter called Decomb. It does a good job of re-ordering the fields and removing the redundant frame from each five frames. Here's a simple Avisynth script to read a segmented AVI file, drop the 1 redundant frame per each 5 frames, and apply a little noise reduction:

LoadPlugin("C:\\MPEG2DEC.dll")

LoadPlugin("C:\\decomb.dll")

LoadPlugin("C:\\peachsmoother.dll")

segmentedavisource("C:\\capture.avi")

Telecide()

Decimate()

PeachSmoother(NoiseReduction = 35, Stability = 20, Spatial = 100)

If you saved the script as something like "video.avs" you should be able to open it with VirtualDub or Windows Media Player, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
dvd2avi will do perfect 3:2 pulldown of DVD encoded film sources if you select "Force Film" in the "Video|Field Options" menu.

For deinterlacing video-sourcec material to 480p there is a VirtualDub plug-in called "Smart Deinterlacer" that works well and has many options. I can't recall where it came from, a Google search may be helpful...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.