AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My wife and I just moved into our first house, and I am trying to figure out how I'm going to configure a 5.1 setup in my living room. There are a couple gotchas with my situation:

#1. The TV area is non-symmetrical, and there aren't a lot of great options for equidistant speakers in the front.

#2. The couch is situated in one corner of the room, so the left side speakers are probably going to be closer than the right (front and back). Also, there is no room for a stand in the back corner, b/c the sofa is flat against the wall.

#3. The TV has to be placed awfully high (53.5" at the base). The center speaker placement is going to be difficult.

#4. Any configuration must meet a high wife-acceptance-factor. She keeps asking about tiny speakers.

I've posted some pics below of my setup. There is a crawl space below, and another floor above. I'm curious what type of speakers you would purchase, and how you would situate them. I'd sincerely appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
if you're just gonna be adding speakers i'd be asking the questions in the speaker forum.

looks like it has potential, good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, as you can see I also need a TV. But you're right, this is more of a speaker layout question I guess. I've posted the question in the speaker forum. Sorry, I'm new here!

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you are just looking for a 5.1 with good sound, you should consider an all in 1 yamaha or other 5.1 speaker bar. These come with a censor that will allow you to configure it to optimize sound at your seat location and are great in large rooms but particularly useful in smaller odd rooms. I know the yamaha comes with a separate sub which provides good bass.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Hi everyone. My wife and I just moved into our first house, and I am trying to figure out how I'm going to configure a 5.1 setup in my living room. There are a couple gotchas with my situation:

#1. The TV area is non-symmetrical, and there aren't a lot of great options for equidistant speakers in the front. Look at in wall speakers.

#2. The couch is situated in one corner of the room, so the left side speakers are probably going to be closer than the right (front and back). Also, there is no room for a stand in the back corner, b/c the sofa is flat against the wall.Again, In wall speakers are your friend in strange layouts.

#3. The TV has to be placed awfully high (53.5" at the base). The center speaker placement is going to be difficult. Go projection

#4. Any configuration must meet a high wife-acceptance-factor. She keeps asking about tiny speakers. Electric retractable screen and in wall speakers will make the setup pretty much invisible when not in use.

I've posted some pics below of my setup. There is a crawl space below, and another floor above. I'm curious what type of speakers you would purchase, and how you would situate them. I'd sincerely appreciate any feedback!

I would use a good high lumen projector and built a DIY screen myself.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan234 /forum/post/14181839

Well, as you can see I also need a TV. But you're right, this is more of a speaker layout question I guess. I've posted the question in the speaker forum. Sorry, I'm new here!

before you go spending tons of $ on a 'tv' consider a projector and ~100" screen, probably for the same amound of $.

set up correctly, it'll blow any tv set away!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it were me, I'd extend the wall above the fireplace over towards the stairs as far as possible. This would make a flat spot large enough for a good sized flat panel.

As far as speakers go, the only thing I can come up with is in-ceiling speakers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts