AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i started a thread like this, but i believe i put it in the incorrect spot. I will pm admins to close, so please excuse my noob-ness.

Okay, so i have been lurking around looking hear for years daydreaming. I am a System Administrator by day and Big Kid by night lol. Well, me and my family built a new home last year and have had my media room on top of my garage sitting for a while. If i don't start doing something in the room, the wife will claim it for something. lol I plan to tear everything apart in a couple of years when i can save up a nice amount to really do something nice. BTW, nice for me will be $20k max!! I am okay with with buy temporary equip for now and moving it down to the living room, so it will not be a waste. BUT I MUST START SOMETHING WITHIN THIS MONTH or she will claim and all will be lost.

So here is the breakdown of my media room above the garage: 224in. x 134.5in (18.6 ft long x 11.2 wide) with 7ft wall and 3ft knee wall above it on both sides. When you walk into the room it steps down into the media room. The room is pretty unique because behind the side walls are doors to a narrow storage space. Which means i can run wires easily and build my rack into the wall.

On a budget for pretty much everything, lol. I wish to have 7.2 for the HT. The room will be used 90% Movies, 10% Games. I will get two rows of theater chairs: 1 row of 3 in the back and 1 row of two in front. It is only 5 of us there. So here is what i am thinking thus far:

-JVC DLA-RS2 (already purchased used for $685 shipped)
-SVS Sound Prime Tower Surround system with extra set of surrounds 2x Prime Tower, 4x Prime Satellite, 1x Prime Center(I have a nice deal pending on this, open to suggestions)
-2 x VTF-15H MK2 or 2 x VTF-15H (up for suggestions)
-Marantz SR7009(up for suggestions)
-Xbox One
-PS4
-DIY Built XMBC box
-Monoprice 12 ga. speaker wires
-Sub wires (????)
-RedMere HDMI cables
-Screens i have looked at: StudioTek 130 100", Elite 110" (this is where i REALLY need help in, i want my speakers behind the screen if it makes sense.)
-Need help Deciding what screen size would be optimal for room size
-Need help with where the projector needs to be placed.
-Need range of cost for a DIY riser for second row of chairs
-I would like to build a stage as well (cost$$$$ ideas)

Now the room was pre-wired for 5.1, but ceiling mounted speakers only. it was also wired for a projector to be mounted as well. I have never done anything like this, but i am excited to get to purchasing stuff. Please help with any ideas and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

BTW I have looked at MysticalJet theater so far and a few others.

-Brion

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
First off i started a thread like this, but i believe i put it in the incorrect spot. I will pm admins to close, so please excuse my noob-ness.

Okay, so i have been lurking around looking hear for years daydreaming. I am a System Administrator by day and Big Kid by night lol. Well, me and my family built a new home last year and have had my media room on top of my garage sitting for a while. If i don't start doing something in the room, the wife will claim it for something. lol I plan to tear everything apart in a couple of years when i can save up a nice amount to really do something nice. BTW, nice for me will be $20k max!! I am okay with with buy temporary equip for now and moving it down to the living room, so it will not be a waste. BUT I MUST START SOMETHING WITHIN THIS MONTH or she will claim and all will be lost.

So here is the breakdown of my media room above the garage: 224in. x 134.5in (18.6 ft long x 11.2 wide) with 7ft wall and 3ft knee wall above it on both sides. When you walk into the room it steps down into the media room. The room is pretty unique because behind the side walls are doors to a narrow storage space. Which means i can run wires easily and build my rack into the wall.

On a budget for pretty much everything, lol. I wish to have 7.2 for the HT. The room will be used 90% Movies, 10% Games. I will get two rows of theater chairs: 1 row of 3 in the back and 1 row of two in front. It is only 5 of us there. So here is what i am thinking thus far:

-JVC DLA-RS2 (already purchased used for $685 shipped)
-SVS Sound Prime Tower Surround system with extra set of surrounds 2x Prime Tower, 4x Prime Satellite, 1x Prime Center(I have a nice deal pending on this, open to suggestions)
-2 x VTF-15H MK2 or 2 x VTF-15H (up for suggestions)
-Marantz SR7009(up for suggestions)
-Xbox One
-PS4
-DIY Built XMBC box
-Monoprice 12 ga. speaker wires
-Sub wires (????)
-RedMere HDMI cables
-Screens i have looked at: StudioTek 130 100", Elite 110" (this is where i REALLY need help in, i want my speakers behind the screen if it makes sense.)
-Need help Deciding what screen size would be optimal for room size
-Need help with where the projector needs to be placed.
-Need range of cost for a DIY riser for second row of chairs
-I would like to build a stage as well (cost$$$$ ideas)

Now the room was pre-wired for 5.1, but ceiling mounted speakers only. it was also wired for a projector to be mounted as well. I have never done anything like this, but i am excited to get to purchasing stuff. Please help with any ideas and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

BTW I have looked at MysticalJet theater so far and a few others.

-Brion
That's kind of a conundrum. You have barely enough depth for two rows of seating, and if you take space off the window end you might come up short. On the other hand, an AT screen is the only way to fit the size screen I think a two-row setup requires so the view from the second row isn't ridiculously small. The RS2 doesn't have as much brightness as my RS1, and the combination of a larger screen and the lower gain of an AT screen is not a good combination. Be sure you mount the RS2 as close as possible for the screen size you choose so you have maximum light output from it -- placing it at the back of the room will cost 20% of the light output.

If you were using a Benq W1070, I'd have no hesitation in recommending a 150" AT screen and essentially going wall to wall with it. With the RS2, I would not go larger than 120" and I would look for something with positive gain even at that size. Something like 1.5 gain would keep the pop to the image at 120". Unless ... you would be willing to add a used Panamorph Horizontal Expansion lens (UH380/UH480) and do a vertical stretch in the RS2 for scope movies. Then a 132x54" AT screen might retain enough light for movies and still be 112" when watching 16:9 content. Or play it safe with a non-AT positive gain screen 116x49" (126" diag 2.39:1) with speakers to the sides.

Reactions: bsuave

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So should i even do a stage? Any recommendations on brand of screens or DIY ones? I did not plan on using any screen over 120" diag. Would an Elite screen be worth looking into?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I'd be thinking a baffle wall up front, with an AT screen. This would eat up 8" of room depth.

Extend the floor from the hallway into the room, to create a riser at hallway height.

Go with non reclining stadium style seats and do a three seat front row with a two seat back row.
This would create a tight seating arrangement.

Add a door at the entry. AV rack recessed in the side wall.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! I will look at Falcon and Seymour today.

BIG and Ted, what do you think about screen size for the RS2 building a stage to put speakers behind screen? Take up too much space?

Will I be okay with the receiver choice Marantz SR7009, SVS tower package deal as a starter system?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd be thinking a baffle wall up front, with an AT screen. This would eat up 8" of room depth.

Extend the floor from the hallway into the room, to create a riser at hallway height.

Go with non reclining stadium style seats and do a three seat front row with a two seat back row.
This would create a tight seating arrangement.

Add a door at the entry. AV rack recessed in the side wall.

I was thinking the same about extending the floor as well. Keep in mind I have those two doors that lead behind side walls. I have been going back and forth trying to think of a way to extend around the doors.

Instead of stadium style seating, what about a slimmer line of theater seating. I'm 6'1, 340lbs. Might not fit well in that style. Too hard to do a Brion build too. Lol

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Raise the door frames and all, then frame in below, where the riser is.

King/Queen front row, and three slim seats for the back row then. The catch might be how tall those
side walls are, and how they impact on the ease of getting to the front seats.

I'd be talking to Nyal about a baffle wall set up. This wouldn't eat up much room depth.
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2012822building-the-acoustic-frontiers-demo-room-part-ii-html/

With an AT screen in front of a baffle wall eating up 8-10" of room depth, I'd be thinking around 9' wide.
Riser height and second row sightlines, plus the angled walls, might impact on that. You'll also want light
absorbing treatments on the walls, as light will come off a woven AT screen in all directions. You don't
want this light scatter, to end up reflecting back onto the screen. Another gotcha is you don't want to sit too close
to a woven AT screen and be able to see the weave on bright scenes.

Depending on room height, I might skip the visible stage. Is that a second story room?

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/20...-ass-dedicated-home-theater-for-an-enth-html/

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Raise the door frames and all, then frame in below, where the riser is.

King/Queen front row, and three slim seats for the back row then. The catch might be how tall those
side walls are, and how they impact on the ease of getting to the front seats.

I'd be talking to Nyal about a baffle wall set up. This wouldn't eat up much room depth.
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2012822building-the-acoustic-frontiers-demo-room-part-ii-html/

With an AT screen in front of a baffle wall eating up 8-10" of room depth, I'd be thinking around 9' wide.
Riser height and second row sightlines, plus the angled walls, might impact on that. You'll also want light
absorbing treatments on the walls, as light will come off a woven AT screen in all directions. You don't
want this light scatter, to end up reflecting back onto the screen. Another gotcha is you don't want to sit too close
to a woven AT screen and be able to see the weave on bright scenes.

Depending on room height, I might skip the visible stage. Is that a second story room?

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/20...-ass-dedicated-home-theater-for-an-enth-html/
Wiley Coyote, Pure genius! Never would have thought of that! Raising the door frames and all would do it.

The side walls are 7 feet tall on both sides before the angled wall begins (before the riser idea) and probably go to 6 feet once riser is installed. Height of center of the room is 9 feet from current level.

An option as well is that the door on the right can be moved to the outside of the room and i can shift all seats to the right and have a better pathway to the front seats, but i think it will look weird or off angled to have the 3-2 seat combo off-centered right??

Looking into the baffle now.

The height of the room is 9 feet and yes this is a second story room above the garage.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I wouldn't offset the seats, ideally.

You could create the some defined passage space, and headroom, with the seating pulled off of the back wall. A couple of bent pipe railings (red lines -muffler shop exhaust pipe bent and spray painted perhaps?) would define the pathways to seating. That way your 6'1" frame would have headroom, to the front seats. And with the extra headroom, soffits become a possibility if you want to go that way.

It might be tight, but what you don't want, is your ears planted dead center in the room.

One of those small doorways at the back of the room, might also work for a recessed av rack on wheels.

SeymourAV also has a choice between uF and XD materials. Uf doesn't have the gain of XD, but I believe you can sit closer to it.

http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp

Second story room, so no sand filled stage, due to weight. I'd be tempted to do a plain front wall and opt out of stage, to keep the number of design elements down (in a smaller room).

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you're going with an AT screen there's no point in having a dedicated center channel. You can just stick 3 Prime Bookshelves back there, cross them over at 80Hz and let the sub do the rest of the work.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Then why does everyone tell me that towers are better than bookshelves??? I'm soo lost now..lol :confused:

Is it because they have the space or???

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it worth it to have the Marantz SR7009 priced from $1,500-1,800 or is there another receiver i could choose from for either Primes System or HSU Hybrid 15? I could use the extra money to buy another sub!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts