AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I just purchased my first home (and had a beautiful baby girl!) and have recently purchased a 60" Samsung LED TV. I would like to start hosting movie nights, as well as game nights, and as such am looking for a(n) HT system.

I have been looking at reviews all over the place, and have heard good reviews on the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system. My only issue is - these reviews are old and this system has been out for several years. I'd like to know if there was something newer/better out there for roughly the same price.

Here's some more info:

Price: ~$600 (complete setup)
Interests: Movies and Gaming
Exquipment: Samsung 60" LED TV, Sony PS4, No audio equipment (yet)
Room: Living room - 20' X 12' (roughly) TV is placed at the far end of the room (long ways) and the seating area opposite of it.
Placement: Looking for wall mounting as my home is tiny and we use every inch of it without feeling cluttered. Ideally they could be tucked into the corners of the room, but I understand this may not be ideal for sound.
Size: Looking for speakers with the "in-between" of size vs. quality.
Note: I enjoy the "immersive" feeling. Also, good dialog and bass.

Also, due to the fact that I'm OCD, all speakers must be the same brand. I can't handle the mis-match of multiple brands. The receiver however, can be a different brand if needed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to becoming part of the HT scene as I am a geek by profession =P (I'm a Network Engineer)

·
Registered
19,802 Posts
I will hands down take the Sound Appeal bookshelf speakers over the Energy.
The Sound Appeal is made to be wall-mounted

You can buy 3 pair for a 5.0 speaker set and have a spare speaker for less
than $225 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Books...260596&sr=8-1&keywords=sound+appeal+bookshelf

Some strange member did a subjective review here.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ppeal-bookshelf-do-they-have-some-appeal.html

Look at the Dayton subwoofer
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

Denon receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...l-4k-ultra-hd-a/v-receiver-w/bluetooth/1.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will hands down take the Sound Appeal bookshelf speakers over the Energy.
The Sound Appeal is made to be wall-mounted

You can buy 3 pair for a 5.0 speaker set and have a spare speaker for less
than $225 shipped.

Some strange member did a subjective review here.

Look at the Dayton subwoofer

Denon receiver

Excellent info! I'm looking into the AVR you mentioned. The sub looks pretty good as well. My concern is the size of the SA speakers as my room is small. Also, I would prefer that the sub and speakers stay the same brand, though, for the right speakers, I may make an exception!

I'm in no rush, so I'll see what other members have to say (not that your suggestions were bad, I simply don't want to jump the gun ;P )

Again thank you!

·
Registered
19,802 Posts
Excellent info! I'm looking into the AVR you mentioned. The sub looks pretty good as well. My concern is the size of the SA speakers as my room is small. Also, I would prefer that the sub and speakers stay the same brand, though, for the right speakers, I may make an exception!

I'm in no rush, so I'll see what other members have to say (not that your suggestions were bad, I simply don't want to jump the gun ;P )
What you do choose is up to you - however the Sound Appeal are not that big,
Also they will have a bigger radiation pattern and more bass over the twinkle,
twinkle little star speakers.

It is rare to find a matching sub for mating with speakers, that will/can be decent
for your restricted budget - I would think about adjusting your mind on that one.
You will have a chance to enjoy sound better, if you do not stare at the system and
let it toy (play) with your mind.:)

Enjoy the search adventure.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I'd get over your OCD in a hurry. Makes for poor audio decisions and far too often, poor sound. And zieglj01's recommendations are sonically solid as well as being extremely inexpensive (probably the least expensive I've seen for its sonic quality). You came here for a reason, right? However, it is obviously your choice to make. Also note that your room is consider a medium size room, not small. It will take a decent sub to fill that volume (1,920 cu. ft. w/8-foot high ceilings). And if your room is open to another room, that also must be considered in choosing the right subwoofer (or subwoofers).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What you do choose is up to you - however the Sound Appeal are not that big,
Also they will have a bigger radiation pattern and more bass over the twinkle,
twinkle little star speakers.

It is rare to find a matching sub for mating with speakers, that will/can be decent
for your restricted budget - I would think about adjusting your mind on that one.
You will have a chance to enjoy sound better, if you do not stare at the system and
let it toy (play) with your mind.:)

Enjoy the search adventure.
So I've seen. I believe you're right. Thankfully the sub can be tucked away so it won't toy with me as much as the front stage and/or surrounds would lol.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Thankfully the sub can be tucked away so it won't toy with me as much as the front stage and/or surrounds would lol.
I hate to burst another bubble, but that statement is far from reality. One places a subwoofer where the subwoofer tells you to place it. This is accomplished via the subwoofer crawl test.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
These guys are right...you can NOT put speakers, and especially a sub, where the look good and get good sound. Now, that said, I couldn't but my sub where the subcrawl told me too, but I picked the 2nd best spot!

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
332 Posts
Gah! You guys are killing me lol
While sub crawl is certainly the best way, sometimes you just have to put a sub where you have to (I've always had space issues once I heard that was the right way). If there's any room to stretch the budget, audio is the place to do it. So many people place all the importance on a TV and then think a $300 micro satellite/sub system will be amazing. You will be missing out with those tiny systems, especially with action movies and games. Do you want to hear tin can sounding gunfire or nice full punch? Definitely look a bookshelf speakers (for the front 3 at least) at minimum with a decent sub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While sub crawl is certainly the best way, sometimes you just have to put a sub where you have to (I've always had space issues once I heard that was the right way). If there's any room to stretch the budget, audio is the place to do it. So many people place all the importance on a TV and then think a $300 micro satellite/sub system will be amazing. You will be missing out with those tiny systems, especially with action movies and games. Do you want to hear tin can sounding gunfire or nice full punch? Definitely look a bookshelf speakers (for the front 3 at least) at minimum with a decent sub.
I hear ya on the space issues lol

You all are making plenty of sense. I'll be doing more research on the AVR and Sub. I'm still currious through, is there anything else newer/better than the Energy Classic around the same price?

·
Registered
19,802 Posts

You all are making plenty of sense. I'll be doing more research on the AVR and Sub. I'm still currious through, is there anything else newer/better than the Energy Classic around the same price?
For twinkle, twinkle little star speakers and your budget - not really

If you want them little star things and save a little - then look at
the Monoprice Prime - they will favor Energy
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

However, I will take the Sound Appeal over both of them

·
Registered
10,218 Posts

What Zieg already mentioned, Dayton Speakers, Monoprice, Pioneer and any other non satellite size speaker. Any would be better.

Why bother hosting movie and game nights and have it sound like ???? ;)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I'm still currious through, is there anything else newer/better than the Energy Classic around the same price?
You are talking about $300 for 5 speakers and a subwoofer. As far as a packaged system, it's obviously a very good price for an okay system. But like all package systems, there are weak links, especially the 50 watt subwoofer. Plus, the Take 5 speakers will need to be crossed over at around 120 Hz. That means it may be possible to audibly locate the sub if it isn't between the speakers (which probably won't be the best place to locate it).

Zieglj01's recommendations would be superior to the Take 5 Classic for about $60 more, and you could cross them over at 80 Hz and place the sub where it belongs. Are there better speakers? Of course, but you'd need to increase your budget accordingly. If you're willing to do that, I could recommend several.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are talking about $300 for 5 speakers and a subwoofer. As far as a packaged system, it's obviously a very good price for an okay system. But like all package systems, there are weak links, especially the 50 watt subwoofer. Plus, the Take 5 speakers will need to be crossed over at around 120 Hz. That means it may be possible to audibly locate the sub if it isn't between the speakers (which probably won't be the best place to locate it).

Zieglj01's recommendations would be superior to the Take 5 Classic for about $60 more, and you could cross them over at 80 Hz and place the sub where it belongs. Are there better speakers? Of course, but you'd need to increase your budget accordingly. If you're willing to do that, I could recommend several.
It looks like that might be what I do, though, I'm talking to the lady of the house to see if I can expand my budget a little bit ;) It's a long shot, but the worst she can say is no. lol So say I got another $200 (for a total of $800) what are we talking? From what I've seen, it seems that the jump from entry level, to lower-intermediate, is $1,000 give or take. Between $600-$1000, there really isn't much choice. Though, I may be wrong...

I haven't even bought anything yet, and can already tell it's addicting lol

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
For around $800? Try these:

$175 / pair (shipping extra) Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy bookshelf speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/ and http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html (I have not auditioned these) Buy 4 for $350 and add their $100 center channel and you're at $450. Add the Dayton SUB-1200 for $148 and you're at $598. Add in the AVR zieglj01 suggested and you've got a very good system for around $787 (not including shipping of the AAs).

My top choice is as follows:

$225 / pair (includes shipping) EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php (I own these) Buy 3, using one as a center channel and you're at $337.50. Add a pair of EMP Tek E3b's for your rear channel at $125 / pair (includes shipping) and you're at $462.50. Add the Dayton sub and you're at $610.50. Add in that AVR and you are at $799.50.

Andrew Robinson's video review (prices reduced since this review, but return shipping cost $25):

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For around $800? Try these:

$175 / pair (shipping extra) Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy bookshelf speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/ and http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html (I have not auditioned these) Buy 4 for $350 and add their $100 center channel and you're at $450. Add the Dayton SUB-1200 for $148 and you're at $598. Add in the AVR zieglj01 suggested and you've got a very good system for around $787 (not including shipping of the AAs).

My top choice is as follows:

$225 / pair (includes shipping) EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php (I own these) Buy 3, using one as a center channel and you're at $337.50. Add a pair of EMP Tek E3b's for your rear channel at $125 / pair (includes shipping) and you're at $462.50. Add the Dayton sub and you're at $610.50. Add in that AVR and you are at $799.50.

Andrew Robinson's video review (prices reduced since this review, but return shipping cost $25): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nskkt8c3-78
lol that is quite impressive! Sounds like you know your stuff lol $0.50 away from my max budget (hopefully) lol props to you sir! I'l certainly look into them =)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
lol that is quite impressive! Sounds like you know your stuff lol $0.50 away from my max budget (hopefully) lol props to you sir! I'l certainly look into them =)
I try to get under your max budget :D. Good thing your max budget wasn't $799 :).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.