Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to this home theater stuff and have a question about screens. I have purchase the BenQ PE5120 HD DLP. There are so many names for screens, "Matte white", "super Matte white" etc etc. Well what one would work best for my projector.

Thanks Doug

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi Doug. The DIY screen section is not so much into the named manufactured screen types, but rather into off the shelf material such as black out cloth ( window shades ), plastic sheeting or melamine solutions, or paint the wall ( or paint whatever material ) solutions. You could check out gambits thread that heads this section to get an idea. Allot of DIY names for different paint solutions have come about here over time.

Anyhow, your projector in cinima mode and economy mode puts out about 380 ansi lumens and so does require a very dark room and white probably would be a good way to go. My infocus isn't much brighter ( no economy mode ) and a slightly grey screen ( silverscreen ) is working out OK - a little ambient light is present sometime and grey kinda helps.

But basically people enjoy a flat finish or eggshell finish paint ( sheen isn't good ) and people shoot for a very smooth surface. There are allot of solutions in DIY depending on what your circumstances.....can you just paint the wall or will you need to make something you can hang, how is the light control in the room, how big a screen do you want, what is you budget etc..

If you into it there are two and three layered solutions out there to try to preserve as much light as possible and/or enhance contrast but you might just find a one coat basic house paint quite satifisfying as allot have here.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Welcome to AVS, Doug Eh.

For the 100% newb, I suggest a 4' x 8' melamine board from Home Depot; have them cut it to length for you. And, have someone help you handle it since it is very heavy. Or, a 1/4" x 49" x 8' Doable vinyl board is easy to handle; again HD will cut it to length for you. I believe the picture from the melamine board would be slightly better. Either will give you 2 sides to paint now or later and with either there's no need to build a frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.