AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newbie questions for you guys. After weeks of reading through this site's postings (fantastic info here, really) I recently purchased a Sony KF-42WE610. I'm looking for an HTIB and have some questions:

1) The TV can handle 780, 1080, etc... but most DVD players only offer 480p. Am I wrong? Are there affordable DVD players with better than 480p?

2) I've read that DVDs are only able to produce 480 PQ maximum... Is that true?

3) Will DVI make a significant improvement in PQ over component for the connection b/t TV and DVD player?

4) Am interested in sticking with Sony for HTIB... have TV and PS2 already... how do Sony HTIBs measure up to other brands?

Thanks a lot! Please excuse my ignorance if I'm grossly wrong on something... that's why I'm coming to AVSForum...

-B

· Registered
287 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, a DVD player w/ progressive scan can output up to 480p. The DVI connection will be slightly better than the component if you have a DVI source. As far as HTiB, I wouldn't recommend a Sony. I also have a Sony TV, PS2 and a Sony DVD player and thought why not have everything match? I did weeks of reading and listening at many different stores and Sony's HTiB's are simply overpriced and not impressive. They are a great looking set but the quality just isnt there. In my opinion, the best deal out there is the Onkyo HT-S770. It comes in Black or Silver and it will blow any Sony out of the water. The Sony's just sound tinny and hollow. If you listen to the Onkyo, you'll hear a much warmer and deeper sound. The best part is, the Onkyo is a fraction of the price of some of the Sony's. You can get a 6.1 system (135w per ch) and a 10" 220W sub for $449 delivered. This is a brand new unit, just started shipping on Friday. There are plenty of threads on the now end-of-life HT-S760 which is being replaced. You will see that I am not alone here. You can also get the matching 6-disc changer for $108 (refurb) at ecost.com

· Registered
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trnst7
To the best of my knowledge, a DVD player w/ progressive scan can output up to 480p. The DVI connection will be slightly better than the component if you have a DVI source. As far as HTiB, I wouldn't recommend a Sony. I also have a Sony TV, PS2 and a Sony DVD player and thought why not have everything match? I did weeks of reading and listening at many different stores and Sony's HTiB's are simply overpriced and not impressive. They are a great looking set but the quality just isnt there. In my opinion, the best deal out there is the Onkyo HT-S770. It comes in Black or Silver and it will blow any Sony out of the water. The Sony's just sound tinny and hollow. If you listen to the Onkyo, you'll hear a much warmer and deeper sound. The best part is, the Onkyo is a fraction of the price of some of the Sony's. You can get a 6.1 system (135w per ch) and a 10" 220W sub for $449 delivered. This is a brand new unit, just started shipping on Friday. There are plenty of threads on the now end-of-life HT-S760 which is being replaced. You will see that I am not alone here. You can also get the matching 6-disc changer for $108 (refurb) at ecost.com
I second that on the Sony HTIB's. The Onkyo is very good value, but they are pretty big and bulky. If that turns you off, Pioneer, Panasonic and Samsung also make solid choices to consider.

Best,

Wayne

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the other brands.

Another question - this TV has DVI but not HDMI. I've read that some DVD players with HDMI are now supporting 720 or 1080. Am I limited to 480p on my DVDs? Can a DVD player's HDMI output go thru a DVI input?

· Registered
1,338 Posts
bcm301... I second (third?) the info on the HTiB's.

For your questions on DVD players...

There are "upconverting" DVD players now on the market which can take the 480p on your standard DVD and upconvert it to 720p and/or 1080i via DVI and/or component output. These are discussed AT LENGTH in the DVD forum. Some of these players are expensive, some are quite inexpensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.