AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on Comcast analog and want to upgrade to digital. My Visio has both component and multiple HDMI inputs. Comcast offers a box with component outputs or a DVR box with HDMI for an additional $5.00.

I understand HDMI is the preferred connection, but I have to rent the DVR to get it. And eventually I want to add a surround sound system, and I am confused as to how that will connect. According to the Comcast operator, the DVR has component connections in addition to the HDMI, but you can't use both. and no digital audio output is present. How do I connect a future 5.1 unit to this?

For now separate HDMIs from the DVR and DVD will work, but the 5.1 is the question. Is there a 5.1 system that will solve this problem? Been leaning toward the Onkyo 600 HTIB.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Most Motorola and Scientific Atlanta digital set top boxes (both SD and HD versions)have a separate SPDIF digital audio audio output. It will be either an orange RCA jack (for coaxial cable) or a Toslink jack (for fiber optic cable), or possibly both, to feed your surround sound receiver.

You may have to change a setting in the STB menu to activate the digital audio out. (On our SA8300 you choose digital audio out and set it to "Dolby Digital", for example). If you use HDMI for video, SPDIF audio may be disabled by factory default but can usually be enabled in the menu.

Don't know the Onkyo 600 but if it has either an orange coax or toslink optical jack for a digital audio input, you should be OK. You may have to associate the jack with the connect video input name in the HTIB menu if you are also routing the STB video through it.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori84 /forum/post/13002457

Don't know the Onkyo 600 but if it has either an orange coax or toslink optical jack for a digital audio input, you should be OK. You may have to associate the jack with the connect video input name in the HTIB menu if you are also routing the STB video through it.

My Onkyo has 2 optical and 1 coax digital audio inputs, and yes, you have to associate the digital audio input with the video input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts