AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an application that requires I record video on removable media such as a disc. Not a hard drive or flash, or tape. I guess I need the little discs.

What I'm asking for is the top rated camcorders in this category. I need reach and low light capabilities.

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2therock /forum/post/18214690

I have an application that requires I record video on removable media such as a disc. Not a hard drive or flash, or tape. I guess I need the little discs.

What I'm asking for is the top rated camcorders in this category. I need reach and low light capabilities.

Thanks

Many flash memory cams have both internal chips and a slot for inserting removable chips. So saying "removable" leaves good flash memory cams in the running.

I hadn't thought about it for a while, but I don't remember the last time I saw a cam that uses mini-DVDs in retail stores or otherwise publicized. I just checked Best Buy - they have one low-end Sony listed ($250) and one high-end HD one ($3,199). I suspect the mini-DVD cams are disappearing or already gone for all practical purposes.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Hitachi had released HD camcorders that records to either a mini DVD or a mini Blu-Ray disc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Your bringing me up to speed pretty fast.

It's like this. In some states if a video is captured and to be submitted as evidence in a court case and it was on a camcorder's hard drive, the whole camcorder has to be submitted and can sit in the evidence room for years.

You cannot transfer the video and submit it, (in some states). If its on a flash drive, tape or disc it can be submitted without the camera.

So, I need to find the best camera that will meet my needs. I guess the chips are still too costly for this so I need to go with tape or disc I guess.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Here's the link.
http://av.hitachi.com/camcorder/blu-ray/index.html

Panasonic, Sony and Canon has AVCHD DVD recorders that hooks up directly to their camcorders although just reading your last post, the Hitachi camcorders may be better for your situation.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There's not many that record to disc. But there are some. I'm a bit pessimistic on discs myself. I still have a fair percentage of discs that fail to write out of the box (> 1%). And any prolonged exposure to sunlight and the likes makes that rate go up significantly(> 50% in some cases). Hitachi and Sony has some discs cams out there. But they're not normally their flagship models.

Would something like an external DVR or disc writer that records directly from the camcorder output work for you? That might be the better option if so. Finding a battery powered one might be difficult, and it might be too bulky for stealth work. But if that addresses certain issues / concerns it might prove cheaper in the long run. Since camcorders often run $1,000+ and loose their value if locked away for 3 years at a time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys, I'm changing my preference and am posting it in a new thread. I hope you can help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts