AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dlp projector with native resolution of 1024x768. I purchase a HDTV format "45x80 = 92" screen. I'm currently using a personal computer to view my movie and a little computer surfing. The problem i'm having is that when I set my resolution to 1024x768, the image is way to big for my screen. My only solution is 1280x720 which doesn't really solve the problem. The image seems like its missing something. Under windowsXP, the start button (lower task-bar) is not complete. Plus the image is little blurry. I would love to view it at 1024x768 its native resolution but i want to fill my whole screen without going over.

Can anyone help me out..I'm a real Noob so you guys need to hold my hands. and show me exactly how to solve this dilemma

·
Registered
477 Posts
Why did you get a 16:9 screen with a 4:3 projector?

You'll either have to run in a 16:9 resolution and not at your full 1024 res, or use the 4:3 part of your screen with blank areas on the sides.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading in earlier post that this projector can do 16:9. But when i feed it computer signal, which is alot cleaner viewing from any source i've hooked in. The 1024x768 resolution will not allow me to resize. I recently purchase an ATI HDTV dongle and the best resolution i can get is 1280x720 but with compromise. I heard someone mentioning custom resolution such as 1024x576 or some sort, but i really cant describe cause i don't know what the hell they are talking about.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Sounds to me like you just have an overscan problem... there are a number of ways to address it depending on your particular setup. Try listing more specifics on your system including video card...

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Your projector may be able to "do 16:9" but it does that by just using the center of the screen, so you'll have to:

1) Set the projector to fit top-bottom at 1024x768

2) Set the projector to fit side-sid at 1024x768

3) Set the projector to fit screen but run 1024x576 (16x9 resolution)

4) Get a Panamorph lense :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is how my setup is configure. My projector is ceiling mounted from 17' away from the "45x80 = 92" screen. The PC being used is a xp 2500+ w/512mb memory. dual 120gb 7200 rpm running raid0 on winXP. video card is radeon 8500 128MB. sound card to receiver using fiber cable. added ATI HDTV dongle for receiver switching with OTA HD receiver.

My before i started using PC for my DVD viewing, i did not have this dilemma. With my DVD player, I was able to resize all my DVD movie to my screen size. Even movies that are 4:3. Now that I have used PC with theatertek. I don't want to go back.

By using computer signal, my resize button no longer function. I would like to address this but i don't know where to start..

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Now that I have used PC with theatertek. I don't want to go back.
As long as your display is large enough to fill the entire screen you can just use Theatertek custom ratio settings to adjust for overscan. Of course this will only solve your DVD display AR issues and not for PC application use.

In theatertek just right click on the screen while the movie is running and select Aspect ratio - Edit (Ctrl+E) | select the aspect ratio you'd like to adjust and then use the arrows to customize your AR (i.e. move the edges of the screen to the desired location).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My goal is to feed it with the closest resolution of its native which is 1024x768. With the ATI dongle at 1024x768 I'm projecting a very small image in my current settings. Help

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dredder
My goal is to feed it with the closest resolution of its native which is 1024x768. With the ATI dongle at 1024x768 I'm projecting a very small image in my current settings. Help
You're going to have to give up on the dongle, it's not capable (AFIAK) of outputing 1024x768, it can only do 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i. What you are getting instead is a 1024x768 box in a 1920x1080i resolution.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a way i can use custom timing (Ive' been reading this forum like a madman) ): using something like powerstrip. If anyone with powerstrip experience using ATI Dongle please post reply...

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
The dongle only supports outputing 480i/p,720p, or 1080i, if you run anything else you'll either end up windowboxed like you are now, or you'll go virtual desktop, it's a known limitation/"feature".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.