AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post here, and I have just about lost my mind with all the research I have done so far.

I have narrowed down my selections to these 3:

1. Samsung LN-S4696D (LCD)

2. Sharp LC-42D62U (LCD)

3. Panasonic TH-42PX600U (Plasma)

4. Pioneer PRO-940HD (Plasma)

I currently have a Panasonic TH-42PD50U (EDTV). I want to step it up all the way now and go full-on HDTV.

I want to stay with a 42" or bigger TV because going to anything smaller than I have now, would just have no point at all.

Now for the details:

1. The TV will be going in my bedroom.

2. There is a skylight pretty much directly over where the TV will be going.

3. My couch and bed are about 9-10 feet away from the TV.

4. I have a PS3 (HDMI Cable), XBox 360 (Component Cable), Wii (Component Cable), DVD Player (HDMI Cable).

5. I have my office in my bedroom as well, and I work out of my home, so the TV will be on pretty much all day and night.

6. It will not be mounted on the wall, it'll be on a TV Stand.

7. Will be using the standard Wall Jack for Cable TV Signal.

What I would like the the TV:

1. 1080p

2. Cable Card

What I have noticed while out looking at TV's at the local BB, PC Richard, ect... is that with the LCD TV's, when "high-speed" scene comes up, there are all these little squares that come up on the screen, but it doesn't happen with the Plasma's. Why is that?? Is it due to them having 20+ TV's hooked up to generally 1 main feed?? Basically what I wanna know, is if I go the LCD route, and I get the thing home, throw on a movie...am I going to get those little squares on the screen as well, or no??

I tried to be as clear as I can. If there is anymore info you need or wanna know to help me with the decision, please let me know!!
TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got that Panny in my bedroom and it is fantastic. HD tv is really nice, SD not so much. DVD's look great (HDMI). I've also got an Xbox 360 which also looks great, however I'm using the VGA connection. I think the size is about perfect. My normal viewing distance is from 10-13 feet and I usually view at night. My bedroom doesn't get any direct sunlight, so my shades help keep most of the light out.

Having said all that, I wouldn't get the Panny if you have that much light coming in the room. Unless reflections don't bother you of course. In a room with heavy sunlight, an LCD is going to work better. I'm also looking/waiting for a new display for my living room (with a ton of sunlight) and the two LCDs you list are on mine too.

Hope it works out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would imagine the artifacting (little squares) you mention are a result of the feed and not the LCDs, especially if it is happening on most of the sets. Different sets have different video processors, and some are more susceptible to artifacting than others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegenigma /forum/post/0

I would imagine the artifacting (little squares) you mention are a result of the feed and not the LCDs, especially if it is happening on most of the sets. Different sets have different video processors, and some are more susceptible to artifacting than others.

The little squares come up on pretty much every LCD (expect for the really really expensive ones)...but then turn around and look at the "Plasma Wall" and there are no squares on them, same video playing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Save some money and get buy the Pioneer 4270 instead of the 940, if you go that route. I personally like the Pioneer picture and I think it handles SD TV the best out of all of the TVs including your LCD choices. How bad does your CRT look with the Sky Light reflections? THe plasma will not be as bad as your CRT.

For LCD, I like the much underrated Mitsubishi LT-46131. It is less expensive than the Samsung, does not have any of the issues that have plagued the Sony/Samsung TVs. You can see this TV at any CC. It is quite a nice TV for a few bills less than the Samsung. If you want to get the programmable remote and an all black frame, check out the 46231.

If it were me, I would buy two of them, bring them home, use them each for a week (after calibrating the picture) and see what you like best. My guess is that for daytime viewing you will like the LCD, for night time movie/TV watching, you will prefer the Plasma.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSteve /forum/post/0

Save some money and get buy the Pioneer 4270 instead of the 940, if you go that route. I personally like the Pioneer picture and I think it handles SD TV the best out of all of the TVs including your LCD choices. How bad does your CRT look with the Sky Light reflections? THe plasma will not be as bad as your CRT.

For LCD, I like the much underrated Mitsubishi LT-46131. It is less expensive than the Samsung, does not have any of the issues that have plagued the Sony/Samsung TVs. You can see this TV at any CC. It is quite a nice TV for a few bills less than the Samsung. If you want to get the programmable remote and an all black frame, check out the 46231.

If it were me, I would buy two of them, bring them home, use them each for a week (after calibrating the picture) and see what you like best. My guess is that for daytime viewing you will like the LCD, for night time movie/TV watching, you will prefer the Plasma.

On the Pioneer...would the 4271 be the model that took over for the 4270?? I can only find the 4271 currently for sale at places that are local to me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The 4271 is the same exact TV as the 4270. The 4271 is the Best Buy model. Everyone else should have the 4270. The only difference is the Best Buy model comes with a second remote.

I have the 4270 and like it very much. It has a fantastic HD picture and good SD picture. My only complaint would be that this set seems a bit more prone to IR than some other plasmas but I really abuse my panel by watching things in the Dynamic mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.