AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to plasma TVs and am looking to upgrade to a TV a bit bigger (and hopefully of higher quality) than my 32" Vizio LCD (which I am happy with) in anticipation of receiving an Xbox 360 for Christmas. I'll be using the TV primarily for gaming on the 360 as well as SD DVD's and over the air antenna TV (so only primetime and sports are in HD). The viewing distance is about 7.5' and the room can be made dim to dark depending on the time of the day. In trying to determine if a plasma would be a good fit, I'm trying to find answers to the following questions.

I've searched and looked through stickys but my assumption is that these answers change over time with new technology, and most threads I have seen have been old.

1. Is image retention and burn-in no longer a problem? I've heard both answers. I'll be doing a lot of gaming with games with static HUDs undoubtedly. Most TV (well at least half) is in SD with black bars around the sides. Most DVDs these days still seem to have horizontal bars as well. I don't want to have to crank up the brightness to make the bars gray or use zoom features to remove the bars that distort the proportions.

2. Do the current model Panasonics continue to have problems with sudden risings in the blacks? Has this been fixed at all?

I honestly want a TV that's going to work fine out of the box. I don't want to have to go through elaborate break-in procedures and maintenance procedures to prevent burn-in. I don't want to have to restrict what I play or watch on the TV. If I want to play 5 hours of the 360 on the day I pull the TV out of the box, I want to be able to do that without worrying about image retention and burn-in.

Am I having unrealistic expectations for a plasma TV? Or could this work out?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Panasonic supposidly has gradual rising blacks now.

Not sure about burn in, but the Fox Logo on the screen, while watching football... scares me.

Seriously, why does it have to stay there?

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by florbastang /forum/post/19639440

2. Do the current model Panasonics continue to have problems with sudden risings in the blacks? Has this been fixed at all?

Rising blacks isn't the only problem, they also have floating blacks this year. *feature* floating blacks, *by design* rising blacks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a Panasonic S2 and I almost exclusivity game on it. After playing Gran Turismo 5 for a week straight (like 4 to 8 hours per day) and not using the TV for ANYTHING else I had IR on the screen that did last a few days. However, after hours of playing Black Ops the GT5 HUD was no longer visible. Don't worry about it too much, just be careful for the first 200 hours.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by florbastang /forum/post/19639440

I'm new to plasma TVs and am looking to upgrade to a TV a bit bigger (and hopefully of higher quality) than my 32" Vizio LCD (which I am happy with) in anticipation of receiving an Xbox 360 for Christmas. I'll be using the TV primarily for gaming on the 360 as well as SD DVD's and over the air antenna TV (so only primetime and sports are in HD). The viewing distance is about 7.5' and the room can be made dim to dark depending on the time of the day. In trying to determine if a plasma would be a good fit, I'm trying to find answers to the following questions.

I've searched and looked through stickys but my assumption is that these answers change over time with new technology, and most threads I have seen have been old.

1. Is image retention and burn-in no longer a problem? I've heard both answers. I'll be doing a lot of gaming with games with static HUDs undoubtedly. Most TV (well at least half) is in SD with black bars around the sides. Most DVDs these days still seem to have horizontal bars as well. I don't want to have to crank up the brightness to make the bars gray or use zoom features to remove the bars that distort the proportions.

I honestly want a TV that's going to work fine out of the box. I don't want to have to go through elaborate break-in procedures and maintenance procedures to prevent burn-in. I don't want to have to restrict what I play or watch on the TV. If I want to play 5 hours of the 360 on the day I pull the TV out of the box, I want to be able to do that without worrying about image retention and burn-in.

Am I having unrealistic expectations for a plasma TV? Or could this work out?

1. Image retention(wich can sometimes last for days or even longer) is still an issue. BI.....only if you really abuse the set. I consider them to be practically the same because the only way to get rid of bad IR is to go days or even weeks without using your set the way you meant to when you bought it. At that point whats the point.

2. They still rise. They just rise slower. Panasonic won't really say how high...at least not without using words like "near" or "around" in the same sentence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.