AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum so please be patient with me; if I am posting in the wrong section, please refer me to the correct page. Thanks in advance, here's my dilemna.

When the PS3 comes out, I would like to be able to connect the system to my crt monitor via the systems hdmi outputs. Problem is, my monitor only has VGA & BNC inputs. I've been searching the forums and it appears that the copy protection (hdcp) is the main problem. My question, is there a moderately priced solution? I've looked at these two models.

Dtrovision dc-da1

&

Ophit ??

I take it my setup would look like this? PS3--->Hdmi to DVI cable------> dc-da1 or ophit converter ---> crt monitor. Is this setup correct? Also, in theory (Ps3 not out yet), would it work?

I have a financial situation too. The PS3 is supposed to be capable of outputting two 1080p signals in tandem. I purchased two widescreen crt monitors in anticipation of this feature; so, I don't think I would be able to afford two Dc-Da1s. Two of the Ophit units would probably be more in my price range. If none of this works, looks like I'm stuck with two huge monitors...lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Repost, im me, or send me a pm.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Seeing that we're talking about Sony, and the previous PlayStation products have plenty of nasty copy protection features, I wouldn't be at all supprised if the PS3 puts HDCP protection onto the HDMI output.

If so, you'll need to use one of those lovely black boxes. The Dtrovision one you can get from Digital Connection is one such device.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carled
Seeing that we're talking about Sony, and the previous PlayStation products have plenty of nasty copy protection features, I wouldn't be at all supprised if the PS3 puts HDCP protection onto the HDMI output.
Well why would Sony worry about people recording a video game? :confused: :confused: :confused:

What copy protection features are you talking about Carled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoLe
I have a financial situation too. The PS3 is supposed to be capable of outputting two 1080p signals in tandem. I purchased two widescreen crt monitors in anticipation of this feature;
You already purchased two crt monitors just for this?

And what exactly is that going to do for you? 3D games perhaps?

Apparently I am missing something here. :confused:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Well why would Sony worry about people recording a video game? :confused: :confused: :confused:
No one said there was any logic to it.

I even have PS2 games that disable the digital output so you can't copy the BGMs (even though there are sound effects layered over top of it that'd make any copies unlistenable)..... Madness.

Quote:
What copy protection features are you talking about Carled?
Just your standard regional lockout and inability to played copied games mainly.

Sony was the first company to have strong DRM on their discs. Back in the days of NEC, Nintendo, and Sega consoles, defeating the protection was easy as. Just cut off some pins, or resolder a wire. To defeat the protection on the PS2 you have to do some bloody surface mounting. Nasty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You already purchased two crt monitors just for this?

And what exactly is that going to do for you? 3D games perhaps?

Apparently I am missing something here. :confused:[/quote]

With the 2 hdmi outputs, some games can use both outputs at the same time. An example given at the Sony press conference showed a game being displayed on two widescreen monitors. So the aspect ratio would be 32:9. I'm sure there will be other nifty uses of this feature, not unsimilar to the Nintendo DS' two screens, one with gameplay and the other possibly showing maps or game stats.

I was able to purchase the monitors in bulk, which brought the cost down a ton. The dvi-->vga transcoder cost more than what I paid for two widescreen monitors:( It looks like I'll have to get two if I want to use my current set-up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

If so, you'll need to use one of those lovely black boxes. The Dtrovision one you can get from Digital Connection is one such device.

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know if the Ohpit model would work also? It's on the main page of digitalconnection. I only ask because it is half the price of the Dtrovision; since I need two, this would be the better option for me. It looks like it would work, but the page doesn't state whether or not the unit has HDCP. If there are other models out there, let me know. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know if the Ohpit model would work also? It's on the main page of digitalconnection. I only ask because it is half the price of the Dtrovision; since I need two, this would be the better option for me. It looks like it would work, but the page doesn't state whether or not the unit has HDCP. If there are other models out there, let me know. Thanks again for the help.
You'd probably best best giving Kei at Digital Connection a ring or an email, but I think the Dtrovision unit is your only option.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
With the 2 hdmi outputs, some games can use both outputs at the same time. An example given at the Sony press conference showed a game being displayed on two widescreen monitors. So the aspect ratio would be 32:9. I'm sure there will be other nifty uses of this feature, not unsimilar to the Nintendo DS' two screens, one with gameplay and the other possibly showing maps or game stats.

I was able to purchase the monitors in bulk, which brought the cost down a ton. The dvi-->vga transcoder cost more than what I paid for two widescreen monitors:( It looks like I'll have to get two if I want to use my current set-up.
I see, looks like you are a serious gamer. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Htpcfan - I just like getting the most out of my gaming experiences. I like to try out anything innovative new platforms have to offer. I'm also into video editing, so the extra space using a dual monitor rig with my pc makes things extremely convenient. Only problem is, it's tough for me to justify large purchases. I'm a thrifty person, and I'm going to a rather expensive college; so there's not a lot of extra cash just laying around;)

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Htpcfan - I just like getting the most out of my gaming experiences. I like to try out anything innovative new platforms have to offer. I'm also into video editing, so the extra space using a dual monitor rig with my pc makes things extremely convenient. Only problem is, it's tough for me to justify large purchases. I'm a thrifty person, and I'm going to a rather expensive college; so there's not a lot of extra cash just laying around;)
I'd tell you to wait until you actually OWN the PS3, since it's not coming out until what? March 2006? See where things are at then, especially in terms of pricing and such. A lot can, and will, change between now and then. Sit tight!

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
As I understand it he already purchased those monitors. :)
Heh. Whoops. :p

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
I see, looks like you are a serious gamer. :)
Games are so much more fun on a nice, big screen.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Just your standard regional lockout and inability to played copied games mainly.

Sony was the first company to have strong DRM on their discs. Back in the days of NEC, Nintendo, and Sega consoles, defeating the protection was easy as. Just cut off some pins, or resolder a wire. To defeat the protection on the PS2 you have to do some bloody surface mounting. Nasty.

Yes exactly. for those not familiar with PS2 region locks, I can tell u the region lock is much much stronger than dvd. (the regional code of dvds, for all practical purpose, is meaningless). For PS2 games, it's very real. There is no way u can play a U/C or JP game on a PAL console; or a copied game dvd on the same console; or a bootleg game dvd on an unmodified console. U have to surface mount a chip to hack it. So for the new PS3, I'm quite sure they will be equally strong on the HDMI output. Perhaps more than just plain HDCP. ChronoLe, If I were u, I would wait for the PS3 out first before buying the blackbox. Sony may have something new. The cost of 2 blackboxes may be more than the cost of 2 HDMI'ed displays.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm not too optimistic about the lovely black boxes that I have (DC-DA1 and DD-D12P) ... who knows whether those Sony chaps would revoke the key therein (and risk complaints from HDCP-compliant plasma/LCDTV ... display owners). So, hold your horses until PS3 actually comes out.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
It is not a foregone conclusion that the PS3's HDMI output will be HDCP encrypted for games. As others rightly point out, there is no need for it---piracy from the HDMI output is not even an issue for games, only for movies. And these chips can enable HDMI on a case-by-case basis.

But others have said it all: wait until the PS3 comes out. Buying displays now for a system that isn't even out yet? Way premature.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47
I'm not too optimistic about the lovely black boxes that I have (DC-DA1 and DD-D12P) ... who knows whether those Sony chaps would revoke the key therein (and risk complaints from HDCP-compliant plasma/LCDTV ... display owners). So, hold your horses until PS3 actually comes out.
Sounds like an unnecessarily large amount of effort. Remember that most of the DRM on Blu-ray/HD-DVD is for the studios' sake, not the electronics companies. The game industry is far less draconian as a whole. That said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant
It is not a foregone conclusion that the PS3's HDMI output will be HDCP encrypted for games. As others rightly point out, there is no need for it---piracy from the HDMI output is not even an issue for games, only for movies. And these chips can enable HDMI on a case-by-case basis.
There may be no realistic reason (beyond, prehaps, potential sales of DVDs of a game's cutscenes, which are starting to get quite popular), but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't happen. I'm putting the odds at about 65% that it will, and 35% that it won't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant

But others have said it all: wait until the PS3 comes out. Buying displays now for a system that isn't even out yet? Way premature.

I didn't purchase the displays just for the PS3 though. I like having a lot of extra desktop space for video editing projects. It's just very convenient to have a dual rig running. And yes, I was going to wait before I purchased the transcoders. I was just trying to get feedback from people with more insight in the matter. Again, thanks to everyone for their input. I look forward to becoming a regular on this site!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like an unnecessarily large amount of effort. Remember that most of the DRM on Blu-ray/HD-DVD is for the studios' sake, not the electronics companies. The game industry is far less draconian as a whole. That said, we'll just have to wait and see.
Exactly ... just wanted to point out to any chaps who intended to do this that it's not w/o consequences ... the more people remind them of such consequences, the less likely any person will want to risk it ... :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.