AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well upon some suggestions(thank u) it looks like I'm about to pull the trigger on a refurb VP8600.(I was [email protected],HD7100,IN76)

It seems it has Dcdi faroudja(for my satellite SD signal) and it is DC2+ decent optics..... also I cant seem to find anything negative on it's bulb life. If anyone has anything to input on that I'd appreciate it.

The other factor is its sale price....I hope there's no huge problems with you guys pointing me in a good direction for purchasing options I wouldn't need a link maybe just a name? So far the best I've found is like 800$ with 1 yr warranty....and I am leaning towards paying an extra 150$ for a 2yr bulb warranty.

My short throw walls of 11feet wall to wall dont help much to maximize but it will span 80' diagonal which I think from a sitting distance of 9-10 feet should be plenty. Anyone forsee bad RBE or SDE from this distance??

I beleive it is a 6 segment 5x color wheel which from what little I do know is a good spec for this price range.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The price you got right there is best unless you want to take your chances with the auction site but the warranty may not be valid if go that route.

Also, look for the Mack bulb warranty which can be found for under $100 / 3 years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was qouted from Act2 or 2ndAct....but where do u get this "mack" warranty?

Also I been reading some more and ppl compare this marantz to the Planar 7130/7150....how are the bulb lifes on those?

Reason I ask is it seems those are short throw which might work better for me....especially if they share same specs as Marantz.

Can anyone comment on if using a true short throw projector would be better for preventing SDE or RBE ? my audience would be about 9-10feet from the wall.

I have to go check the specs on the planars now which all this back and forthing is making my head spin. I guess im getting closer...so long as bulb life isnt an issue with the planar's and they can be found with a decent price then I may have to choose between the 2.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I do have a Planar 7130. The rated bulb life is 3000h. I don't think anyone on the forum is anywhere close to hitting that number so there's no reliability info at this time.

As for RBE, I can still see it even though it's a 5x wheel. SDE I can see a little bit also but I sit around 7 feet from a 83" screen.

The Planar can give you a pretty large image from a short distance and there's plenty of lumens to go around. The High Lamp mode is too bright for me, so I'm pretty sure the projector can handle a nice large screen.

Oh yeah, the picture is gorgeous.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok well it really loooks like this is not going to be an easy choice either....

But I know im getting closer.

The PLANAR is DC3!!! + short throw.

But it is Pixelworks vs. the Marantz is Faroudja.

Can anyone comment on how it renders 480 SD signals?(the pixelwork planar).

Any links or vendor names for the Planar looks like they don't get advertised too well.

Did find a thread with some problems with them but they seem small hiccups or quirks I plan to read this more thoroughly.....on the other hand the Marantz has no such thread. Please comment.

It also says the bulb is user replaceable on the Planar I was assuming they all are user replaceable but I may be wrong is the Marantz user replaceable?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchased the vp8600 from that vendor and I am very happy with it. A big part of my decision was based on good build quality and quiet since it will be near my head.

You can get the Mack warranty from forum sponsor Texas Tapeworks. Brian Pool is the poster of this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...?do=ad&id=1826

It cost me under $200 to extend the pj warranty from 1 to 5 years and bulb warranty form 90 days to 3 years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jerry. I guess the warranty people u talk of will give u the warranty even tho your not buying it from them?

Tuff tuff choice...the 7150 has a .8 DC3! and is short range...but there is a whole thread with little problems with them.

And it looks like the VP8600 does not have any "little" problems....even tho I wont get the full 100" inch with my short throw....i should render 70-80" fine.

But with DC2.

The DC3 and full 100" on the 7150 is very tempting. Anyone have any deal breaking news for either of these? i guess im slightly leaning on the marantz to avoid headaches.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Keep in mind that while going with a shorter throw PJ can get you a bigger screen it can also make the pixel grid more visible at closer view distance (DC3 can help a bit here however) .

Here are some advantages of each projector ...

Marantz :

better build quality

longer lamp life

slightly better optics

quieter

more flexible install

better deinterlacing with SD

Planar :

better black level (DC3)

better contrast ratio (DC3)

slightly less visible pixel grid (DC3)

shorter throw

Overall I would trust the Marantz more but the Planar specs out slightly better .

Best of Luck , tough choice

- Jason

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I am selling my Marantz vp8600 on videogon (posted today if interested) for really cheap. I bought mine from secondact back in November. I was given the Panasonic pt-ae3000u for Christmas so I have decided to sell it. The only problem is every now and then it seems to have "start-up" issues (sometimes I have to turn it on a couple of times before it comes on for good). The projector is still under warranty and already registered with Marantz, but I just haven't gotten around to sending it in yet for repair. I have experienced these same issues with the Samsung 710ae and the Optoma hd80. Once on, it works flawlessly. For the record, this projector is really a great dlp projector and I owned many dlp projectors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gamepimp really appreciate it....its a good breakdown.....

plus I saw on another thread a mirror trick to gain you an extra foot or so of throw....that is if I really found it necessary to try to scale to 100" I certainly can't get much more than that so bigger than that is not a major concern.......reliability...makes a big difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also just purchased a vp8600, and am very satisfied. I dont have my screen yet, but on a beige wall the image is impressive.....it will only get better.

What is this trick to gain an extra foot?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jerry how did u get that warranty for 200$ its says 325$ and I called as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 /forum/post/15564281

I am selling my Marantz vp8600 on videogon (posted today if interested) for really cheap.

You should have no problem selling it at that price!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts