AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, likely taking the HDTV plunge this weekend, and next on the list is the next-gen HD disc stand alone player and content plunge.

So, Toshiba's pretty much the only game in town right now, correct?

Also, are there any (or do all) HD-DVD discs have HD-DVD on one side and regular DVD on the other side? That would be a nice plus, as I might want to start buying the contect prior to the player . . .

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
1. You can get the Toshiba players - the 1st gen versions of which have been cloned by RCA, as well as some others I believe - or the Xbox 360 drive. Onkyo and Marantz players to follow...

2. No, only combo discs have that. A lot are HD DVD only.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yup Toshiba is currently the only game in town.

Walmart had some RCA HD-DVD players in some locations that were essentially re-badges Toshiba A-1's. You might still find some here or there in a clearance.

Now go get addicted to HD movies

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris /forum/post/0

Onkyo and Marantz players to follow...

Unless I missed an announcement, I'm assuming you meant Meridian rather than Marantz.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Unless you have an xbox 360, then you go with the HD DVD add on, for cheap.

Adam

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijon61 /forum/post/0

No combo disks that I know of

Have you even looked at any HD DVD titles? There's a lot of combo discs out there.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Well their are a few players out their.

The toshibia A1,XA1 are the first gen players. They work well but are a little slow and have been no to have a few same issues such as skiping, audio lag and pausing. But in most cases they are very few for some never... the main diffrences are the XA2 is built slightly stronger and includes a backlit remote. The A1 does not have a backlit remote. These player if bought new also new a firmware update via a disc or a highspeed conection using the bulit in ethernet jack..

About 2 months ago toshibia came out with the A2,A20 and XA2 they are much faster and almost problom free. The main differences. Are the A2 offers 5.1 analog outs which can be used to get dolby true HD on a amplifer that does not have HDMI , but does have 5.1 ins(multi chanel ins). These players are also much smaller then the first gen players.

However the first gen players can be found for fairly cheep (300-400). Besides the load time they are very good. Load times are about 30 seconds to a minnite or so.

The second gen players start around 500 for the A2 and around a grand for the XA2..

As far as movies. Their are about 150-200 movies out so far. The major studios are universal,WB,paramount and winestein. HD-DVD is also the first disc based HD format to offer adult titiles (if that's important)

Movies average about 24 bucks in the B&M stores and about 20 online.

As far as dvd/HDDVD combos only a few are out. And they cost about 10%-40% more then HDDVDs by them selfs.

So 24.99-39.99 (fearless).

HDDVD players will also upconvert DVDs to 720p,1080i over HDMI. It does a very good job at this..

Well go out and buy one and be amazed at the PQ and AQ

I'd get king kong,corpse bride , riddick, and hulk as they are the best looking movies they will amaze you far surpassing any HD you seen.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx /forum/post/0

About 2 months ago toshibia came out with the A2,A20 and XA2 they are much faster and almost problom free. The main differences. Are the A2 offers 5.1 analog outs which can be used to get dolby true HD on a amplifer that does not have HDMI , but does have 5.1 ins(multi chanel ins). These players are also much smaller then the first gen players.

The A2 does not have 5.1 analog out like the A1 had.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodory /forum/post/0

Ok, likely taking the HDTV plunge this weekend, and next on the list is the next-gen HD disc stand alone player and content plunge.

So, Toshiba's pretty much the only game in town right now, correct?

Also, are there any (or do all) HD-DVD discs have HD-DVD on one side and regular DVD on the other side? That would be a nice plus, as I might want to start buying the contect prior to the player . . .

The Toshiba A-2 is a good basic player. Very good upconversion and HD DVD playback. Audio using optical is also good.

I however, ended up exchanging the A-2 for the XA-2 since the audio via the 5.1 analog (which the G1 A-1 and XA-1 have) was better than the optical over the A-2. I had gotten used to the audio with my XA-1 so, the A-2 was a little difficult to get used to. However, I really like the usability of the A-2 and hence ended up with the XA-2!

In terms of picture and audio quality the A-1 is probably the best value (my XA-1 matches the XA-2). However, as many have said it is slow and not as responsive as the G2 products (A-2, XA-2). For my wife the A-2 was a big improvement over the XA-1. So, I'd say the A-2 has higher WAF, and hence my vote goes to the A-2 as best value for money right now

Once you get HD, there's no going back to SD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.