AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm getting married next month and I'm going to be purchasing my first tv.

I'm still on the fence between plasma and lcd. I'm looking at panasonic plasmas and samsung lcd's.

Now people are telling me to stay away from plasma because if they burn out or the display stops working its unrepairable. LCDs, you can change the tubes.

Does that ever happen to plasma's, I never really read anything like that.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Are plasma's repairable??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Who are these people telling you these things...and do they do it with a straight face?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allused /forum/post/17017081

I'm still on the fence between plasma and lcd. I'm looking at panasonic plasmas and samsung lcd's.

Now people are telling me to stay away from plasma because if they burn out or the display stops working its unrepairable. LCDs, you can change the tubes.

Does that ever happen to plasma's, I never really read anything like that. Can anyone shed some light on this. Are plasma's repairable??

You're listening to some really stupid ignorant people. Plasmas are just as easy to repair as an LCD TV. Both consist of a flat panel, some video boards, an input board, a tuner, and a power supply. Plasma panels don't "burn out", and you can't change the "tubes" (i presume they meant backlight) on an LCD. The Plasma panel or LCD panel is not repairable and must be replaced if it goes bad, but the cost to replace either will be so high that you may as well just buy a whole new TV. All the other components are replaceable though.

The Panasonic plasma panels are rated for 100,000 hours of use, and LCDs tend to be rated at 60,000 hours. The Panasonic plasmas are regarded as the most reliable TV you can buy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Some real answers....

Plasma or LCD. Makes no difference. Most tv's that fail, do so usually within the warranty period. After years of use, what is the point of repairing when you can buy a new one. Recycle the broken one, buy a new one. Price points today are much better with LCD and Plasma then CRT was. That is what made CRT a better repair option. CRT was also bigger and thus a little easier to repair. Find something your eyes love, buy it, plug it in, and have eye love with your new TV. Worry about what might happen later.

Plasma and LCD can be summed up like this... Same Same but Different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I was pretty sure they were fixable but friends, co workers etc. were confusing me, and most of them have Lcd's so that could explain them trying to turn me off of lcd's.

Thanks again, now I know how to respond to them if they tell me this again.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/17017709

The Panasonic plasma panels are rated for 100,000 hours of use, and LCDs tend to be rated at 60,000 hours. The Panasonic plasmas are regarded as the most reliable TV you can buy.

Those numbers are just for how long the panel should take to get to half the original light intensity. Both LCD and Plasma panels can fail for many other reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts