AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic PZ85 TV and an A/V receiver with upconvert capabilities (Denon 2309CI). I am trying to figure out the best way to connect my PC to this system. The PC would be used primarily for gaming, DVD playback is not an issue.

I have used a DVI-to HDMI cable to connect my vid card to the receiver and that seemed to work okay (I am still researching this). But there are a couple of options about which I am still kind of confused:

(1) what would be the effect (for better or worse) of disabling the upconvert feature for this input?

and

(2) how should I set the resolution and refresh rate on the vid card and what impact does this have on the whole process?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think it is a 1080p monitor, so 1920x1080. I think the refresh must be 60hrz, but I am not sure. I have my 46" connected to my pc via dvi and it lists all the usable resolutions, with 1920x1080 being the best. I have my tv set to 1 to 1. Meaning no overscaling. So I would not overscale on the amp. If you plug in a regular dvd player to the amp, maybe try the overscaler on that.

·
471 Posts
(1) If you are running your video card at the max resolution of the TV, then there should be no upconverting needed. You should disable upconvert on that input.

(2) Set the resolution you want to run the TV at. 1920x1080 as Mindwarper said is ideal. The refresh rate will probably be 60Hz. Since you are using a digital connection, the driver should automatically read what resolutions the TV supports. As far as what impact it would have on the "process", I am not sure what you are referring to.

So really, it's just plugging the computer into the TV then setting the resolution. It may automatically set the best resolution anyway, just like using a standard LCD computer monitor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts