AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad wants to get an LCD but will only be attaching cable by coax (no STB or cable card)...would this work with any LCD that has a tuner or does he need a specific type of tuner input?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffQ /forum/post/0

If the TV has a tuner and a coax connection in it, it will work but will look like crap. Analog cable channels cannot be made to look good no matter how good the scaler is inside the tv.

HTH

GeoffQ

So the tuner commonly found on flat panels these days cannot be used for a simple coax run? It needs specifically a "coax connection"? And I know it'll look like crud...I've told him that already...

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 /forum/post/0

My dad wants to get an LCD but will only be attaching cable by coax (no STB or cable card)...would this work with any LCD that has a tuner or does he need a specific type of tuner input?

Presuming your dad's cable company gives analog cable directly from the wall without needing an STB, pretty much any current model LCD TV will have at least a cable-ready NTSC tuner, and maybe even an ATSC (digital) tuner. If the LCD TV has a QAM tuner, it should also pick up the free local HD channels that his cable company provides.

Is he already getting analog cable from the wall with his current TV? If so, a current LCD should do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

Presuming your dad's cable company gives analog cable directly from the wall without needing an STB, pretty much any current model LCD TV will have at least a cable-ready NTSC tuner, and maybe even an ATSC (digital) tuner. If the LCD TV has a QAM tuner, it should also pick up the free local HD channels that his cable company provides.

Is he already getting analog cable from the wall with his current TV? If so, a current LCD should do the same thing.

Yes...he currently gets it from the wall...so if the coax is run to a QAM tuner he would get local HD channels and SD channels with one line?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Yes. QAM receives any HD not scrambled such as locals (which could also be received through OTA) through a simple cable connection.

But digital sets really work best with digital programming...HD or SD. An upgrade in service would be the best option. Cheapest way of doing this is through Cablecard.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
He might have to get a cablecard/STB as many channels are encrypted these days even when they should not be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.