AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked before, hope you can bare with me.

When I run audyssey calibration on my denon 2310ci its measuring my sub as being 23 feet away from the MLP when its actually only about 14 feet. it also sets the volume to -12 on the AVR. I tried turning the sub up to 2 o'clock and re-running audyssey but it only gained me .5db (-11.5) and still set it to 23 feet away from MLP. How can I fix this. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Your going the wrong way.

You need to turn the gain on the sub *down* to get Audyssey to calibrate the level in the acceptable range. When your AVR comes back with a level of -12db, your sub is turned up too loud.

The sub distance that Audyssey determines has little to nothing to do with the actual physical distance and has more to do with how the sub reacts with your room.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P  /t/1524540/noob-question-need-help#post_24538253

Your going the wrong way.

You need to turn the gain on the sub *down* to get Audyssey to calibrate the level in the acceptable range. When your AVR comes back with a level of -12db, your sub is turned up too loud.

The sub distance that Audyssey determines has little to nothing to do with the actual physical distance and has more to do with how the sub reacts with your room.

Like I said, Noobie!
Thanks Allan, I will try that! So am I losing anything with having the sub set 23 feet away? should I go into the receiver's settings and manually change it to the actual distance? Thanks

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886  /t/1524540/noob-question-need-help#post_24543834

Like I said, Noobie!
Thanks Allan, I will try that! So am I losing anything with having the sub set 23 feet away? should I go into the receiver's settings and manually change it to the actual distance? Thanks

Audyssey doesn't measure the distance. It measures the audio signal delay from the listening position to the sub. It then calculates what the distance *should* be, but your room acoustics might be affecting the delay. I wouldn't worry about it. If you change it, then your speakers and subwoofer might end up out of sync.

·
Registered
14,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886  /t/1524540/noob-question-need-help#post_24543834

Like I said, Noobie!

Basically no matter where you set the amp gain on the subwoofer, audyssey will compensate to target a standard 75db calibration. If you need more bass then you must manually adjust the sub trim. I like to shoot for a calibration around -6 and that allows up to 6db of adjustment without going past 0 in the avr sub trim. I would have no issues with -12 but my wireless transmitters have trouble turning on if my sub trim level is lower then -6 at lower volumes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts