AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 5.1 sony system from 5+ years ago. Now setting up a 7.1. All my speakers and receiver are sony. Anyway I just got the Onkyo TX-SR606 to replace the sony, have 1080P TV with HD DVD and getting blu-ray. I am just trying to figure out if the speakers I have are any good or will they suck with my new system.

I dont want to spend a lot of money for the best but I am wondering if the current old sub I have is good enough, its the Sony SAWM40. I dont know much about speakers and if it is decent enough for a small bedroom. Specs I got off Amazon for the sub:

Product Features

Subwoofer with advanced SAW bass reflex design

Built-in amplifier with 120 watts into 8 ohms from 20 - 200 Hz at 0.8% THD

12-inch long-throw driver

Line-level and speaker-level inputs

Auto power on/off

Technical Details

Brand Name: Sony

Model: SAWM40

speaker_type: Subwoofer Unknown modifier

speakers_maximum_output_power: 120 Watts

speakers_response_bandwidth: 20 - 200 Hz Unknown modifier

Depth: 16.5 inches

Height: 16.9 inches

Width: 14.2 inches

Weight: 39.7 pounds

Speaker Amplification Type: Active

Speaker Connectivity: Wired

Thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you were to replace the sub as well, how much would your budget be for all 8 speakers? How big is the room where this will be used?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike /forum/post/14188470

If you were to replace the sub as well, how much would your budget be for all 8 speakers? How big is the room where this will be used?

Its a bedroom size room in the basement so its not large. I just bought a new TV, bluray, and the Onkyo so I dont have a huge budget right now. I would like to know which speakers are really useless (maybe all of them), but if certain ones were useful I could replace some now and the rest at a later time.

2 Front: Sony SSMF650H

Center: Sony SSCN490

2 side: Sony SSMB200H

Sub: Sony SAWM40

Rear: (must buy)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well on a very limited budget, I would stick to 5.1 for now and spend your money a little at a time replacing each piece as funds become available. Right now you might have a handful of discs that are even 6.1 and probably none that are 7.1 anyways. Start with the sub, then the Fronts and Center at the same time, then the Side Surrounds, then the Rear Surrounds last.

Replacing the sub only at this time, what is the cash available to do this right now? I could make 20 recommendations, but without a budget it is worthless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts