AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an Epson home theater projector, an onkyo receiver, and three source components - Oppo bluray player, a home theater PC, and Roku box.

All the sources are connected to the receiver via HDMI, and there's a single HDMI cable running to the projector.

If I calibrate the projector using test patterns on a bluray disc, will that only optimize the picture quality for the bluray source, or will the other sources be calibrated as well? I would think that since HDMI is digital they should all be calibrated, but then what do I know...

Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi,

the calibration is only valid for the pattern source, e.g. Your Oppo Player.

If You want if perfect for all sources You need to calibrate each source individually.

You can do it like this:

Calibrate first with Your Oppo as pattern source and then just meassure the other remaining sources and depending how much they are off, calibrate them too or tweak the source to meet the calibration.

If You want to calibrate each source individually, Your projector has to have as many memory slots for calibration data as You have sources.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say 'just measure the remaining sources' doesn't that mean I need test patterns? My HTPC has a DVD drive, so that should work for that source at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaxe  /t/1521425/noob-question-on-calibrating-sources#post_24451260

Hi,

the calibration is only valid for the pattern source, e.g. Your Oppo Player.

If You want if perfect for all sources You need to calibrate each source individually.

You can do it like this:

Calibrate first with Your Oppo as pattern source and then just meassure the other remaining sources and depending how much they are off, calibrate them too or tweak the source to meet the calibration.

If You want to calibrate each source individually, Your projector has to have as many memory slots for calibration data as You have sources.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

If your oppo player is correctly set up, then the calibration will apply to the player and mostly to the other sources. You may have to tweak things like the brightness setting if your cablebox/satellite ends up too bright or too dark.

Stuff like the grayscale would carry over to the other stuff. (assuming you are using instrumentation.)

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2011/12/setting-black-level-for-your-cablesatellite-box/

This article gives you an action plan for trying to set the brightness for cable and satellite boxes when they do not match your BD player.

regards

Reactions: ConnecTEDDD

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuster  /t/1521425/noob-question-on-calibrating-sources#post_24451514

When you say 'just measure the remaining sources' doesn't that mean I need test patterns? My HTPC has a DVD drive, so that should work for that source at least.

Sorry if my words caused some confusion.

Yes, You also have to play the test patterns from the other sources.

As I expect the Oppo to be the most accurate device so You should calibrate the projector with the Oppo as pattern source.

After that, play the patterns with Your PC and Ruko Box (but don't make any adjustments on the projector). Compare the results from the PC / Ruko to the results with the Oppo. If the difference is

As Michael already mentioned, You should also check brightness level for each source and adjust if possible.

When You use the AVSHD disc, You can also download the MP4 files for the Roku player.

·
Registered
865 Posts
All of my sources go directly to the TV's HDMI inputs. This allows me to also watch any source I want without the receiver being on. Oppo player are very good, but since they provide user controls to fine tune the picture, you can't assume it's output is calibrated. I actually prefer using a disc for calibration over an ISF calibration performed using a signal generator. A signal generator will allow exact calibration of the TV's inputs, but doesn't allow for any changes the cable or player itself might introduce. A disc will calibrate the entire chain, source to display.

I have an ISF certification and a Sencore P-403 signal generator. It's a great tool, but has many of the same test patterns included on a disc. I start by calibrating my TV inputs so they are correct, but I then also calibrate my players using a disc. You'd be surprised the differences I've seen at times. I then make the adjustments using the service menus so the default setting for the input/source is the calibrated setting. Should I decide to make any user adjustments to the the media I'm watching, I can reset the input to its default and have it back to "calibrated" status.

If you don't have enough TV HDMI inputs, or want to play through your receiver to one TV input, you can use the different TV modes (standard, Game, Photo, ...) for each source and adjust the user controls to calibrate the picture. This will provide each source it's own calibration and takes into account any changes introduced by the receiver. They can be reset to default if needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I'm new to calibration as well, and just getting my feet under me.  I bought a retail i1 Display so it came with X-Rite's iProfiler software.  I have all my sources (PS3, XBOX360, HTPC) connected through my receiver.  I have all video processing turned off in the receiver, and have set all the picture options in the PS3 to the recommended settings I found on the forum.  I game on the PS3 a little, and watch BluRays through it.  The XBOX is just a game console to me, and I don't really care too much about image integrity there.  I do watch lots of content through the HTPC.  My plan is to calibrate the TV using HCFR and the GCD disc played through the PS3.  Then I'm going to attempt to use iProfiler running on the HTPC to create a correction file for the video card effectively "calibrating" the HTPC's output to the calibrated TV.  In your case, I guess you could use a wait and see approach, or just plan to display patterns from each of your sources and make adjustments on your TV for each discrete input.  Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts