AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this must sound crazy, but for the love of god, I have no idea why my mind appears to be stuck on this problem, I knew how to do this before, but I cant remember.

Now I have a laptop and I bought an onkyo home theater system.

I wish to watch movies by connecting my laptop to my receiver with hdmi and so on, but how do i go about this again.

I need 2 hdmi cables right.

So what I've done now is connected my laptop to my recevier with an hdmi and then with another hdmi I've connected my tv to my receiver as well, nothing is showing up, what the hell am I doing wrong?

Should I first connect the laptop to the tv and then what, my god I can't beliave this is causing me such problems.

If anyone could lay out the correct steps on how to do this I would be really gratefull. Like what do I connect with what first?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Just need to tell the laptop that you have an external display. Usually the function key fn and f5 will toggle thru your options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how to switch from my laptop to an external screen, that's not the problem, I'm really cluless lol.

These are the connections I have on my reciever, it's taken from the manual.

Now I have taken an hdmi cable and connected one end to my lcd and the other end to the hdmi out, like it says in this manual.

What's next?

I take the other hdmi cable and connect one end to my laptop and the other to what hdmi input? They are all labeled dvd/blu ray, cable, vcr/dvr? Which one do I choose for laptop?

·
Registered
934 Posts
make things easy first, if you connect the laptop to the TV, do you get a picture?

Basically, you have two basic situations, and you need to figure which you are encountering. 1) the receiver is not passing the video on to the TV. 2) the video signal being sent out from either laptop or receiver is not something the TV read/understand.

How you have it wired is correct assuming the laptop sends out video/audio output via HDMI and the receiver passes video data through HDMI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts