AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I ask a dumb question?

Just bought the JVC D-ILA from ABT here in Chicago - delivery next week. I have Directv with a Hughes Series 2 Directv Tivo. I know I need an HD receiver - going to get the Hughes from CC for $299. Will it replace my TIVO or can they run simultaneously somehow? I don't want to lose TIVO for HD. I know the TIVO won't record HD stuff but is it possible to use the direct tivo to watch/record regular stuff and the HD receiver to watch HD?

Thanks

· Registered
552 Posts
Yes, you'll just need to maintain your current connections to your Tivo. You'd have to run a 3rd line in from the dish to your HD receiver for sat, and also an OTA antenna signal.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider taking the extra $600 hit & going straight to the HR10-250 HD-DirecTV/Tivo so that you can record in HD. Having to lose HD or lose Tivo functionality will be annoying. If going this route you can just replace your current Tivo, just have to install an OTA antenna.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
You can actually get the HR10-250 for $899 if you shop around and it's possible to get credits on it from D* if you've been a customer in good standing for some time. Call the retention department and tell them your thinking about switching to cable because it's cheaper to rent their DVR, don't ask for a discount outright, see if they'll offer you credit to stay with them.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by srudoff
I've been told the HD Tivo from directv does not work well with the D-Ila - something about defective hdmi ports on the tivo - urban legend or true?
There have been a small percentage of the HDMI ports reported dead. There have far more reports of dead hard drives. (I'm on my third box). Both problems have been handled by D* on a timely basis for most users. A small fraction have reported problems with warranty support - long delays in getting a replacement box. When you buy from a local like Best Buy, Circuits City, etc you have a 30 day return policy. If the box doesn't work take it back for refund/replacement. After 30 days, you call D*.

If you really want to record/watch HD on your new HiDef TV then the HD-TiVo is the only way to go.

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Problem with the HDMI port on the JVC that apperently they have a fix for. Two people just posted last week they are waiting for JVC to fix their TV.... You can always use the components as a work around if you have this issue until it's fixed.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=454382

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.