AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm a projector newbie. I am buying a house with a living room with a LOT of light, and peaked ceiling. It;'s all modern and open concept, yada, yada... which is awesome from a feeling perspective.... However, it has a perfect huge wall for a very large screen. I've got a good 12-15 feet throw distance possible (or could go closer as necessary). Personally, my viewing habits have come down to BIGGER, BIGGER, BIGGER.

In order of importance:

1. Size

2. Budget

3. Clarity

4. Sound

So my main question: is a projector even a good idea? Or do I just go with a Sharp 80 inch LED type thing? I'd rather have 120+ inch screen, honestly. But if the light is just going to make it not worthwhile, then no point spending money.

Follow-up questions, if a projector could work... given my preferences noted above:

1. From a set-up perspective, is it possible to do it all wireless? There is no opportunity really to run wires from inputs to the projector or even one wire from receiver to projector. Is wireless possible, and if so what is the impact in terms of picture quality loss?

2. Can anyone recommend the best total set-up for $3k - $5k budget? I'm not ever sure what all components I'd need. But again, VERY light room, need wireless, and the preferences above. I'm assuming projector, screen, receiver, and maybe a soundbar (I don't really care a ton about sound. Honestly what I like the most about sounds is a VERY clear direct sound - meaning I can hear people talk. I'm almost annoyed by all the surround sound these days. I like surround, but not when it drowns out my ability to hear dialogue).

Our watching preferences aren't that complex. TV, sports, Appletv, Blue Ray. No gaming.

THANKS!

JZ

·
Registered
7,073 Posts
Don't spend the money, a projector makes no sense as the primary display.

If you want to add a projector and 120"+ screen later on with a screen that drops in front of your flat panel, then that's great, but it will be for after-dark viewing only.

You would want external speakers an A/V receiver, etc. no matter what to get the best sound from whatever you install.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Regarding wireless, keep in mind that unless you already have an outlet near the projector mounting location, at a minimum you are going to have to run power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Right on power.

One comment on light, seems to be a lot of light and it just isn't worth it.

I guess I'll head over to the other display forums...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just for reference, there are ways around a lot of light. My den is south facing with a bay window on the south side. It has white everywhere and a home bar with mirrors. - crazy ambient light.

I ended up having the electric screen come down out of an enclosure on the side with the bay window, where the back of the screen blocks out the light. In this situation I chose a screen that was not tab tensioned ( thicker, more opaque vinyl) I also made sure that the screen was gray and reached past the bay window opening on both the right and left. I put some swinging doors on the opening from the kitchen.

I get very good results with all those disadvantages. Then, when I retract the screen, the room is right back to being a den/family room.

Things can be done, even in a totally unsuitable room. I took a few months to plan my room before I bought anything. II agree that an LED LCD will be brighter and work better in a lit up room, but, with planning, stuff can be done to accommodate a projector and make the experience cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciated... but that sounds pretty complex. Plus I got windows coming in from all sides, across a very open floorplan.

I'm thinking too many obstacles.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Post some pictures of the room please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby  /t/1525331/noob-question-room-with-a-lot-of-light-best-set-up#post_24559613

Post some pictures of the room please.

Couple shots. A LOT of windows and light.

I've got too much going on to have to do a crazy set-up.

But if there's a way to make it work, I'd love to get a huge screen on that wall.

But the best bet may just be one of the new 80 inch+ screens that are coming out.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Dude that is such a huge space it would be a shame not to have a huge 140" + picture up there. 

Put the projector max distance away! Get yourself a light cannon like the Optoma HD25-LV and you will have more than enough for a descent do-able picture that is more worth it than some tiny 80inch screen. 

Just install the Optoma either on the ceiling or on a table stand (re-arrange the furniture). 

Throw your Apple TV on it and you're done! Airplay everything, (even your iPhone or iPad.) You'll still need power for both the ATV and the projector. 

Just put simple curtains on the windows (if you can't then cancel the plan) (or divorce her)

But just the window that is coming from the left and the two on the right. Put a little retractable curtain (it would be easy to find something based on the style of your room)

The LV is so bright it will handle the rest of the ambient light. You will have plenty of contrast for daytime TV. 

When night comes its really time to get the party started. 

·
Registered
586 Posts
You'll need shades/curtains... lots of them, and it won't ever be the perfect blacked out cave. But it's a huge wall begging for a big picture. If it's your first projector and you aren't too obsessive about things then I think you can get something that YOU are happy with even if others say it's not worth doing for them. You need to know that you will be giving up some things in terms of picture quality, but for the first projection experience I suspect the WOW of a BIG screen will be enough to make it worth it for you.

I think it's at least worth looking into.. just do your homework, get familiar with the calculators, reviews and recommendations for various projectors and enjoy the process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm.

Ok, well we were definitely planning on doing some kind of blinds on the front windows - likely the type that open from both the bottom and the top so you can really control light. Hadn't really planned on blinds to the back, as it just faces the back yard.

We won't be moving in for another month or so. Probably best I just wait and see what the light is like and where it comes from.

Once I figure that out, though... yes SIZE is my #1 objective here. Obviously I want to be able to see a clear picture, but when you consider it doesn't matter how high def it is, my eyes will make it low def anyways (bad eyesight!...hehe), and tha tindeed most of the viewing will be done at night, then maybe it does make sense.

Again, size and budget would be the biggest issues, though the right projector for such a sunlit room is probably factor #1. I will likely just get advice from this forum. Everybody has their opinions. I'll just need a good set-up, given the room, and trying to stay in $3k - $5k range all-in.

The Optoma HD25-LV seems like a solid price, solid reviews... but who knows. My days of spending months researching on the internet, in-person and elsewhere are behind me. I've found if you have 5 products that are all very highly recommended, short of something about one really irking you, they will all work well... the big issue is just not getting the "lemon"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts