AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a such a n00b but happy to be! Now, please, all expersts don't hold back and give it to me straight... did I buy a bad projector or it's pretty good? My ultimate quest is to see if my setup option will work ok for what I will be doing...

Projector: Vivitek D862

• Brightness: 3000 Lumens
  • Native Resolution : XGA (1024 x 768)
  • Max. Resolution: UXGA (1600 x 1200)
  • Contrast Ratio : 15,000:1 (Full On/Off)
  • Aspect Ratio : 4:3, 16:9 Compatible

- See more at: http://www.vivitekusa.com/productdetail.php?product_id=72#sthash.1zocarJ6.dpuf

http://www.vivitekusa.com/productdetail.php?product_id=72

I got a hook up from Best Buy, cost me $104.oo total after discounts..... seemed like good deal, all I think I know is lumens, and think that's good??

Anywy, basically going to use outdoors for patio movie night; kid's sitting on trampoline and adults around a fire pit... maybe me on trampoline when kids are asleep and watching Guy Movies!

The goal for me is to get a manual or electric retractable screen... hand under roofline on back house wall where no windows are... the height of the wall is 84" (7') tall and 192" (16') wide

The specs on the projector... "Aspect Ratio : 4:3, 16:9 Compatible"

I think I would get a Diagonal: 120" 16:9 screen... but I really don't know.... what will fit on this wall as far as screens go and any links to buy them would be great; since this is an occasional outdoor rig, I will mount hooks to put/mount screen houseing and retract and remove from hooks when not in use so not looking for the Bill Gates Screen $$$$$ more like the hook up.... really great screen $100 :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So..... rethought and here's my question.... with projector I purchased and an area 84"h 192"w what's the biggest non customized screen size?

I'm a such a n00b but happy to be! Now, please, all expersts don't hold back and give it to me straight... did I buy a bad projector or it's pretty good? My ultimate quest is to see if my setup option will work ok for what I will be doing...

Projector: Vivitek D862

• Brightness: 3000 Lumens
  • Native Resolution : XGA (1024 x 768)
  • Max. Resolution: UXGA (1600 x 1200)
  • Contrast Ratio : 15,000:1 (Full On/Off)
  • Aspect Ratio : 4:3, 16:9 Compatible

- See more at: http://www.vivitekusa.com/productdetail.php?product_id=72#sthash.1zocarJ6.dpuf

http://www.vivitekusa.com/productdetail.php?product_id=72

I got a hook up from Best Buy, cost me $104.oo total after discounts..... seemed like good deal, all I think I know is lumens, and think that's good??

Anywy, basically going to use outdoors for patio movie night; kid's sitting on trampoline and adults around a fire pit... maybe me on trampoline when kids are asleep and watching Guy Movies!

The goal for me is to get a manual or electric retractable screen... hand under roofline on back house wall where no windows are... the height of the wall is 84" (7') tall and 192" (16') wide

The specs on the projector... "Aspect Ratio : 4:3, 16:9 Compatible"

I think I would get a Diagonal: 120" 16:9 screen... but I really don't know.... what will fit on this wall as far as screens go and any links to buy them would be great; since this is an occasional outdoor rig, I will mount hooks to put/mount screen houseing and retract and remove from hooks when not in use so not looking for the Bill Gates Screen $$$$$ more like the hook up.... really great screen $100 :)

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Your only option that I know of is an Elite Screens Manual B, comes in 100" and 120" versions for 16:9 and can be found under $100 for the 100" and under $150 for the 120". There are some cheaper Ebay screens and I have only used one of them once and that screen would no longer go back up. If you are in a cold climate I would store your screen inside for the winter.

Your projector is 4:3 though you can use it with 16:9 material at a lower resolution of 1024 x 576 and even less if it is a 2.35 movie at 1078 x 456. Depending on your seating distance you may get the screen door effect where you can see the pixel grid. The smaller screen would help minimize this, but if you sit far enough back than go larger. If you have the projector you could put the picture on the wall and try the different sizes for your viewing distance.Larger than 120"and you will need a better model which will cost more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your only option that I know of is an Elite Screens Manual B, comes in 100" and 120" versions for 16:9 and can be found under $100 for the 100" and under $150 for the 120". There are some cheaper Ebay screens and I have only used one of them once and that screen would no longer go back up. If you are in a cold climate I would store your screen inside for the winter.

Your projector is 4:3 though you can use it with 16:9 material at a lower resolution of 1024 x 576 and even less if it is a 2.35 movie at 1078 x 456. Depending on your seating distance you may get the screen door effect where you can see the pixel grid. The smaller screen would help minimize this, but if you sit far enough back than go larger. If you have the projector you could put the picture on the wall and try the different sizes for your viewing distance.Larger than 120"and you will need a better model which will cost more.

So will the 4:3 videos look ok on this to.... is 16:9 movies from a blu ray going to look ok at 1024 x 576 ?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts