AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I need to get some speaker wires but not sure which one i should get? I know its either 14 gauge or 16 gauge. The distance between front speakers and receiver is 15 ft. The back speakers have been wired to the front (through dry wall by the contractor) so that to the receiver will only be 10 ft.

Also which type of wires am i suppose to get ?

16AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable - 50ft (For In-Wall Installation) or

16AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable - 50ft

I'm guessing the 2nd one since it will not be in wall installation.

Last question, close or open banana plugs? I am leaning towards closed.

thanks!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree with Andrew. Monoprice has very good prices and products. I would go with 12 to 14 ga wire but otherwise just get the monoprice speaker wire. It is good quality stuff!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
"In wall", means they are rated for installation in your wall. AFAIK this is primarily a fire resistance issue. IE. they either won't catch on fire or are rated to not emit toxic fumes if burned, that sort of thing.

Oxygen free is a completely separate rating, they are completely unrelated. Copper corrodes in the presence of oxygen and that can affect the conductivity of the copper, so "Oxygen free" cables should corrode less/not at all (not clear on exactly the details) and maintain their original conductivity. So this is considered "preferable".

Wires can be both or neither.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've seen the "oxygen free" cables with the clear casing start to rust inside even though they're "oxygen free"
I had some of the oxygen free stuff from home depot that gave me problems with my speaker cutting out. I switched to the in-wall stuff from monoprice and ran it inside my built in entertainment center and it's worked like a champ. I got 12 AWG, but like I said, I usually overspec what I buy. You'd be fine with 14 AWG and probably 16 AWG for short runs.

I'd stick with the in-wall cable as it's double wrapped and if you want to run the cable in the wall, you don't have to buy new.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoots /forum/post/15496968

thanks for your help guys but how long can a 16 gauge wire go?

i run 16awg only for my rears @ 45ft,but not much wattage going through so no biggie. i wouldn't run 16awg at all for my lcr. i would use at least 14awg probably 12 awg.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/15495278

Oxygen free is a completely separate rating, they are completely unrelated. Copper corrodes in the presence of oxygen and that can affect the conductivity of the copper, so "Oxygen free" cables should corrode less/not at all (not clear on exactly the details) and maintain their original conductivity. So this is considered "preferable".

Copper may oxidize when exposed to air or--more commonly corrode--when exposed to certain chemicals found in insulation, whether it is "oxygen free" or not.

The conductivity of regular annealed copper and oxygen-free are so similar that it's really not worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee (QSC) /forum/post/15501824

Copper may oxidize when exposed to air o--more commonly corrode--when exposed to certain chemicals found in insulation, whether it is "oxygen free" or not.

The conductivity of regular annealed copper and oxygen-free are so similar that it's really not worth the extra cost.

Does it mean that one should not worry if the speaker wire turns green?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortlee /forum/post/15506704

Does it mean that one should not worry if the speaker wire turns green?

Thanks.

If it turns green inside the insulation? The wire still will work as it did before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts