Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be gentle....this is my 1st time;)

Have been thinking about HTPC for a while now, my wife wants a Tivo..

I mentioned setting up a 'puter to do the same thing without the fees,

she liked the idea of no fees and being able tp use it from the couch with a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Things I would like to with it would be;

record SD & HDTV

watch the hi-def T-2 on my plasma(no DVI)

rip/burn MP3's and such

DTS capable

play the next-gen 'puter games(Doom3, HL2)

anything I'm forgetting?

I've looked at some of the systems at Digital Connection.

So what's the best way to be introduced to HTPC?

What's would a good beginner setup?

Was looking at the option of buying a pre-assembled system, then

upgrading as needed or is it better to build your own?

How much should expect to spend?

Thanks for the advice,

Keith

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well I'm fairly new to all this myself, I built an HTPC, but mainly because I'm very comfortable building PC's. So, if you're comfortable doing that, then it sounds like the best solution for you, since you want to be able to play HL2 and Doom3. If not, then buying prebuilt might be better. I just say this because HTPC's can be a little tricky, and just building a PC can have it's own can of worms on top of that.

With the games in mind, I'd be thinking in terms of ATI 9800 (AIW), 512-1GB RAM, and a Pentium IV 3GHz or AMD equivalent. The MyHD 120 seems to be very popular for recording/receiving HD, although the MyHD-100 or Fusion cards might do just as well on a smaller budget.

Actually building it may or may not save you a lot of money. I haven't priced HTPC's, so I don't know how they compare to regular PC's. But my experience has been I could build just as good a system for less, or a better system for the same price. But, there are always deals to be had, so you never know...

To sum up, HTPC = yes, how you arrive at it, depends on your comfort with building one.

Shawn

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.