AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting for my Time Warner HD DVR, I got my DVD player and XBOX hooked up via component cables.

The first thing I learned was that my DVD player isn't a progressive scan player. All my DVD's look kind of blah, then I did a Google on this player and sure enough - no progressive scan. Most DVD's look kind of blah, but not horrible. However, I did note that my South Park DVD's looked HORRIBLE. Would the absence of progressive scan explain this? I tried stretching it every which way, nothing improved the image - it sucked.

XBOX ... ugh. Madden '06 looks pretty lousy scaled to widescreen. I used the mode that the menu says causes minimal distortion, but I still think it looks gross. Perhaps this is just a personal preference issue. However, the thing that really bums me out is how DARK Madden and Tiger Woods look. I tried cranking up the brightness but it really didn't fix what was bothering me, but it did wash colors out some. Anybody experience this besides me? Is there a fix?

So far I'm kind of underwhelmed with my new toy, but I'm attributing this to my lack of knowledge right now. Some HD signals from Time Warner and a new progressive scan DVD player should help a ton too.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I was a bit disappointed with the appearance of my consoles (Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube) on my new A20 as well until I made a couple of changes:

1) Run all of them through component cables if you can. I had cables for my PS2 and Xbox when I bought the TV but my Gamecube looked horrible until I went from RCA to component. Not all Gamecubes have the digital out required since they took it off later models. I purchased a JVC-JX66 component switch box so I could plug all three consoles into one component input on the TV. No signal strength loss that I can see and while you have to manually switch it, I have to get up to put games into the console anyways. Switch box was $60

2) I find that I get best results if I let the consoles send a 480i signal and let the TV handle the conversion to it's native resolution. I told my Xbox that the TV could do 720p but lied to it about 480p and 1080i. 480p games look better coming into the TV interlaced if you ask me

3) I don't stretch any of the games. Run them in Full or Normal.

4) I forget the name of the setting but it's something like "DRC Density". You can only adjust it on 480i signals. I juice the clarity and and realism all the way up and it really helps the appearance.

5) Oh and I turn Sharpness all the way to zero as well. I might just be seeing things but I've heard that sharpness actually adds noise.

Good luck. While I'm not pleased with the appearance of ALL my games, Tekken 5 for the PS2 really suprised me by looking better than most of my XBox titles.

The new Hulk title comes out this week and it supports 720p. I imagine it will look pretty good if you are interested in that sort of thing.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Since you're a self-admitted noob, I'll risk insulting you with this suggestion:

Make sure your DVD player is setup for 16:9 and not 4:3.

I recently got my first HDTV and was quite disappointed in the image coming from my 480i DVD player until I remembered to change the setup to 16:9.

Once I made this change, I stopped thinking about getting a progressive scan DVD player - which I had originally thought was my problem.

Hope this helps,

Mitch

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. The DVD player is for sure an older Pioneer sans Prog. Scan. After further research here, I've decided to go with a new player that can do upconversion. Probably the Samsung 950 or one of these brand new Sony models. If anybody has an opinion on which player would work best with my E55A20, I'd appreciate the input.

As for the XBOX, I decided to pre-order my XBOX 360 and stop getting emotional over the less than perfect results I'm getting with these stretched games. I'll just keep checking off the days until November 15th! :)

In closing, a new noob question for you guys. My E55A20 has a single HDMI input, but my cable box (8300 HD DVR) has and HDMI out AND my soon to be purchased DVD player will have an HDMI out as well. Which box should I grant the gift of HDMI? I've been told that my cable box will look about the same over my Belkin component video cables as it would over a quality HDMI cable. If this is true, then I guess the DVD goes HDMI.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I have my games set to run in normal aspect ratio with 4:3 Default set to 'normal' in the setup menu.

The signal from my cable company is pretty bad, so you would think I'd try the opposite, but currently I have my DVD player hooked up to HDMI and the cable box going through component.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AMartin, I've done the same thing with games, running them at 4:3. I mean that's still a large display. I cannot wait to see the XBOX 360 games, the trailers look stunning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.